Problems with Motor rebuild! Please help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Motor rebuild! Please help.

93Explorer194

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath falls, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Last year i had went off roading and over heated my motor to the point it cut out but eventually started and poured white smoke. I took it apart and found two cracked heads. So i purchased new heads, seals, gaskets, EVERYTHING to make it run again. Well i had put it back together and now it wont even idle, i have to press the gas to keep it running and at a certain point the throttle sticks open and it still pours white smoke. I have looked threw every possible forum and i cant seem to get answers. Maybe my head gasket is on wrong? Throttle body may be sticking due to being dirty? This is my first motor rebuild and im having a tough time. Please help!!

Thank you Sara :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing i would do is a leak down test to find if and what is leaking, then i would try propane or starting fluid around the intake.

I know there is a very small leak between the head and the block on passenger side. I noticed that when i tried pressure testing the Radiator and i could hear a leak and thats were i seen a tiny leak. What would the propane be used for?

the propane is for finding vacuum leaks around the intake. but it will not run right until you get the head gasket sealed. that white "smoke" is steam by the water in the coolant being superheated in the combustion chamber. you need to pull the heads back off and replace the gaskets and no you can not reuse them.

Even if the gasket is brand new? ive only ran the truck probably about 5 minutes tops.

New gaskets AND new head bolts, no question, do not skimp in this area.

Are you sure the coolant leak isn't from the lower intake or water pump gasket or even a core/frost plug?

Once you have the heads on, it's compression test time. Then a coolant leakdown.

If you can get it running well enough to get warmed up, run a KOER and see what the computer says.

sometimes depending on the situation you can reuse rubber gaskets but never reuse paper, cork, or aluminum gaskets. and never, never head gaskets. once you torque the head bolt down you crush it so it will conform to the small irregularities in the castings, if you reuse them they will never seal right and lead to more problems causing you to replace them anyways.
before i would rip that engine apart i would use a cylinder leak down tester to verify the head gasket is bad.

before i would rip that engine apart i would use a cylinder leak down tester to verify the head gasket is bad.

x2 Verify before & after. Check & double-check. Don't waste your time & money by rushing things.

Back