problems with my 1992 Ford Explorer, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problems with my 1992 Ford Explorer, need help

1992-EB-EXPLR

Reaction score
City, State
mustang, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hello. Well first off, my truck(1959 ford f100) wont be ready by the time im 16. So i bought a 1992 ford explorer(eddie bauer, 4x4) from a friend who has had it since 99. my friend being my sister. anyway, about 3 months ago, the motor quit running on I-40 here in oklahoma city. My sister didnt know what to do, so she had it towed back to her house. anyway, she had a friend mechanic come look at the motor, and he said that the block might be cracked, but isnt for sure. Anyway, the explorer has been sitting in her drive since then. well, a couple days ago, she said that i could buy it from her so i could have a car to drive, but we need to repair the motor. Anyway, here are my questions:
1. Has anyone else have this same problem with the motor? could the block be cracked, or something minor?
2. I have been reading up on some problems that have occured with the 92 explorer. what are the most COMMON problems that i need to look at, invloving everything on the vehicle. What is standard to be replaced, so on.
3. Sometime, the engine temp.(when it ran) would rise considerably. is this normal? what could be wrong that would make the engine run hotter, just when in park and idleing?
Well, thanks for any help/info. i appreicate it emmensly!
-Russell

ok, i learned today, a head gasket blew out. the motor still runs, until it gets warm, then starts blowing white smoke. also, there is a radiator leak. he said that it will take 3-4 weeks to fix both problems. at about $1000. would it be better to find a whole nother motor, and pay for labor or get these previous things fixed? i get my license in 4 months, so i have a little time. tell me what yall would have done. thanks again.

You should be able to get a rebuilt motor put in for near that much. Short block means without the heads, long block means everything you need except the intake, timing chain cover, exhaust and all the bolt ons (i.e. alternator).

I would go with a long block since you don't know why the head gasket blew. Reworking your heads would cost more.

IMHO

The $1000 to fix the problems might be a good price. If thats the price for new heads/gaskets etc and a new radiator that is a decent price.

It is close to 13 hours of work (I think for Ford book showed 12) to replace the heads (not hard, just lots of stuff in the way).. The radiator can be changed in 1 hour.

New heads (assuming both of your are cracked and aren't worth anything as a core) are about $300 each (I think that is what it was last time I bought a set for our 92 X) and the Radiator is $200ish.. Soo that is over $800 in parts (you need head bolts, a gasket set etc)..

now if the $1000 is for just changing the gaskets and not fixing the heads then I don't think it is worth it.. for a little more you can get a long block motor and put it in. It shouldn't take that much more time to put in a long block than it does to pull the heads and replace them.

Since you have to dig so far into the motor, changing just the gaskets usually isn't worth it since when they get too hot they normally crack the heads between the intake/exhaust valves which means they aren't worth anything as a core. On ours both heads were cracked and one of them wasn't leaking water or pressure yet. One was cracked between the intake/exhuast valves (#6 cylinder) AND 2 valves were recessed into the head. The drivers head was cracked between the water jackets so it was worth a little money as a core, but not much.

~Mark

Back