Which is faster, a 99 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8 or a 96 Limited 5.0L V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which is faster, a 99 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8 or a 96 Limited 5.0L V8?

Haxaw

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited V8 AWD
My sister just got a 99 Durango. It's huge. It has the 5.2L Magnum V8 and she was running her mouth that her truck was better. Being the Big Brother I asked if she wanted race, she said When?.
How about now, I said.
We pulled up side by side on my country road, and we were off!
I heard a squeal of the tires and the good old Ford was immediately in the lead.
We went for about a quarter to half a mile and she was really lagging behind. She just got it so she was pretty upset. She wanted to race again but I think the two monsters drew enough attention the first time.
well she paid $25,000 I paid $11,200, she actually traded in her PT Cruiser for it. I was talking to my father and he was loving it being a Ford Man himself, he said of course you lost you have a DODGE.
For her B-day I bought her a light up brake light that went into her two inch receiver hitch, It was the Ford one. She said but it is a Dodge, But our last name is Ford, she liked it then. So if ya see a Durango driving around with a Ford Hitch light thats my sisters slow Durango.
Sorry had to share it, Shes never gonna live it down and I'm loving it, Sibling Rivalry, Never!

P.S. Do you think it was my truck that squealed even though it is AWD, they thought it sounded like mine?
What do you think First On Race Day, or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5.2 is a 318, right? My uncle just got a Durango with the 4.9 or 4.7 engine, I dont remember, and its pretty quick. But, he races drag cars and stuff, so he has a lead foot. He did a few burnouts for me once and did alot of sideways driving down the road, so its not underpowered. I'd say you had the advantage because of the AWD though. Does your sister race alot? Because if she is not as experienced as you that could have been it. But hey, good to hear you won though!

318-dodge-5.2 in durango

302-ford-5.0
281-ford-4.6
245-ford 4.0-v6

actually if shes got the limited version of the 5.9 then she will roast ur ass. i hate to say it as a proud owner myself of a 5.0 explorer i have raced a few of those durangos..its like racing the 5.9 limited jeep except its a little bit slower. the explorer will do ok but i dont expect it to beat the durango.. but anyway we all know that the explorer out handles the durango and the explorer is better built. enough said but after all that i noticed u said it was a either 5.2 or 4.9... either the explorer has the advantage ..if its the 5.9 then ur in trouble

She just got the truck and is definately the 5.2L Magnum V8. I really thought she would smoke me but I'll tell you that she had the truck for a day and I will never race her again. The Durango is heavier and the spinning thires was probably her. That's why I took her I think. Besides she doesn't know how to drive as well but anyway.

Well in my mind mine is faster and now I have bragging rights so I feel good about my truck.

Back