Procedure for Front Disc Brake Job...ponters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Procedure for Front Disc Brake Job...ponters?

maxxus

Reaction score
Anyone here who can save me time, thank. I am going to remove and cut my rotors soon, so any info is appreciated. Do i need any tools to remove the rotors? or do they simply slide off after removing the calipers? How about removing the wheel bearings, do i need a special socket? the X is a 96. Thankx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your in luck i just finished this today! what you have to do is get the caliper off and hang it by a wire from somewhere in the front end not by the brake like. once you get caliper off you need to get caliper mounting bracket off. the only prob is that there is locktight on the bolts that hold the bracket on. so you need a breaker/cheater bar to break em loose. once that comes off you bang the rotor off with a hammer. if you need any pictures or bolt sizes let me know.

Well it depends on if it's a 4x4 or a 2x4. if it's 4 wheel drive then the rotor pretty much falls off like Curtis said.

2wd is another barrel of snakes. you gotta take the caliper off like above, but the rotor is part of the hub, and you have to first take the dust cap off with a hammer and screwdriver, then dig around in the grease for the cotter pin, remove it, then take the lock off and then the big nut, pair of pliers will take that out it's usually not much more than finger tight. Now the rotor slids off the spindle. while you got it out and it's a 2wd might as well repack the bearings using bearing grease and get a new grease seals.

That's pretty funny that most brake places charge more to do the brakes on a 4x4. It looks like my 4x4 is easier to do than the 4x2.

just did mine last week (ford had a better idea) it was a easy job to do with very basic tools. Dont waste your time by having rotors turned just replace my parts bill for both rotors , pads, and anti squeek was only 87

Back