Programming SCT Microtuner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming SCT Microtuner

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
A great advantage of using the SCT Microtuner is having the ability to install three different tines into the Tuner and then the ability to update the Explorers ECM with a new tune.

With the release of the new Extreme Tune software from SCT ( available as a free download from http://www.sctflash.com/software/Xtreme.exe ) the user can not only upload new tunes from the Microtuner to the truck but also receive new tunes from a SCT dealer via E Mail. You no longer have to ship the Microtuner to the dealer for the new tune install.

SCT did not make provisions for the user to download tunes from the Microtuner. To install a new tune, you overwrite one of the three tunes present.

The new Extreme Tune software also allows the user to modify the tune file ( .xtr file ). You can change tire size, axel ratio, engine timing, and engine idle, modify speed limiter, modify rev limiter, adjust tranny shifting, and more. The modified file can be saved and uploaded into the Microtuner and then into the truck.

This software is by no means perfect but is a great start; I am sure SCT will be perfecting it very soon. The lack of help files is my major complaint.

I have been tweaking several of my tunes for the last hour or so.

I want to thank Doug Studdard of BamaChips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ a sponsor of this site ) for spending considerable time on the phone with me working with the software. The software is not in the least bit user friendly in its present state. Yet with Doug’s help, I was up and running in short order.

If you don’t yet have a SCT Microtuner, what on Earth are you waiting for?

Attachments

• ford_gastrucks_top.jpg
    ford_gastrucks_top.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 214

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell me more. You mean the flasher I have and "was" gonna sell, I can change the program in now for whatever vehicle I buy later? How did you connect the tuner to your computer? Did you have to buy another cable or something? Can you completely change the programs you currently have?

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Tell me more. You mean the flasher I have and "was" gonna sell, I can change the program in now for whatever vehicle I buy later?

How did you connect the tuner to your computer? Did you have to buy another cable or something?

Can you completely change the programs you currently have?

Yes you can ( with limitations based on the ECM type ), however, it will have to be reprogrammed with the new vehicle's info by an SCT dealer.

You need a special cable. Ronnie, I happen to have an extra one for sale.

Tes, you can completely change the tunes in the SCT Microtuner.

Ron
Believe it needs to be OBD2 compliante

I have the 1 cable that came with it. Is it the same cable and connects to a computer also? Or is it a different cable altogeather and you have to have 2 cables to do the dew?

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I have the 1 cable that came with it. Is it the same cable and connects to a computer also? Or is it a different cable altogeather and you have to have 2 cables to do the dew?

The cable that you need to connect the Microtuner to the computer is completely different than the one from the Tuner to the OBD II port.

Yes, Ronnie, you need two cables.

do you need that excalibrator thing to do this?

Billy177 said:
do you need that excalibrator thing to do this?

No, the Microtuner you have ( from your signature ) will work just fine.

Can the Microtuner only be bought from a dealer? Can the Excalibrator be used with the software? Is this the "Dealers Only" Software I saw on the Excalibrator web site?

HR57 said:
Can the Microtuner only be bought from a dealer? Can the Excalibrator be used with the software? Is this the "Dealers Only" Software I saw on the Excalibrator web site?

The Microtuner is available from an SCT dealer. The software works with both tuners. No, the software ids for the end user and is FREE; download it from:

http://www.sctflash.com/software/Xtreme.exe

Back