Project new front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project new front end

Well after 2 years of my solid axle I'm still quite happy. A few changes I've made and are making soon include:

1. I've swapped the X's coil bucket/shock mounts for a set of F250 shock mounts and some late 60's E van coil buckets. I lowered the buckets on the frame to provide a little more lift. And the new shock tower allow me to run 5012's.

2. After bending my tierod numerous times, I decided to flip the tierod over the steering arm on the knuckle. I bought some BCBronco tierod inserts ($17 a piece) and reamed out my knuckles. I had a custom tierod made of 1.25" hollow DOM, threaded the ends and used 1 ton Chevy TRE's. I used the stock drag link.

3. I'm in the process of swapping a wristed radius arm in. Benefits are obvious and anyone can do a search to learn about this.

4. My current axle is about 59", or EB width. Now that I'm on 37's with ~6-7" of lift, it feels a little tippy. I've decided to swap in a wider axle. I got another HP44 housing, which I'm cutting down 3" instead of 6". I will have new shafts made for it. I may put some spacers in the rear if the width difference is too noticeable. I'll be 4" wider in front than rear.

I'll post some pics when I get this all done.

Cheers
Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are you doing this all too? and got any pictures of your suspension set up

Originally posted by liquidx9
what are you doing this all too? and got any pictures of your suspension set up

'92 XLT...what's left of it.

I'll post pics when I'm done. Simple setup, '79 Bronco 44, James Duff 3.5" EB coils.

SOA rear, Dutchman shafts, 5 on 5.5"

Detroit rear, Lockright front, 37" MTR's.

sounds pretty bad ass

Good for groceries....

Sweet! Exploder on 37's....

What are you running in the rear? 8.8?

Simple and effective.....those wristed arms will make for some crazy flex.....

Pics???????
What are you doing with the old 6" D44 housing and custom pass axle shaft??????????????????? :)

Originally posted by 410Fortune

What are you doing with the old 6" D44 housing and custom pass axle shaft??????????????????? :)

Sold, in the FS section here this week. You should've looked. :(

Were did you get your wristed arm?

Originally posted by RangerG
Were did you get your wristed arm?

A friend and I are making them. You want one?

Why not run full width? Cutting down 3" seems like a lot of work. I'm in the process of making my own wristed arm and intend to run my lines down the drivers RA. Is yours the same setup or are you running extended lines off the frame?

Originally posted by ajevenson
Why not run full width? Cutting down 3" seems like a lot of work. I'm in the process of making my own wristed arm and intend to run my lines down the drivers RA. Is yours the same setup or are you running extended lines off the frame?

It only takes about 2 hrs to shorten the housing. And 3" narrower than full width will make a big difference.

I am running lines off the frame...for now. 1 project at a time.

Originally posted by tiessen
A friend and I are making them. You want one?

Yes I do!! Got any pictures of yours? How much? If you want we can do this over PMs.

Well, it's all done. I still don't have any pics. (read: Dale needs a digital camera).

The extra stability is noticeable on the road. The 4" difference between front and rear is NOT noticeable by sight and doesn't look goofy. I may add some rear spacers...or I may full floater my rear end (a friend of mine is making kits) to acheive a wider rear stance.

I haven't had it offroad yet, so I haven't tested the wristed arm.

Pics soon, I promise.

Cheers
Dale

Back