gordo5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Chevy S10
It's just able to do it, but it does it and it works just fine :D

20131116_162752_4_A_small.jpg

20131116_162716_9_A_small.jpg

The bike is a KTM 350 exc-f :thumbsup:

Edit: If anyone else has some pics of a Sport Trac hauling something that people might think it can't do, post 'em up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than capable. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,288

Wow, that's awesome :eek:

Any idea what the tractor weighs? Total load?

I've never actually hauled a trailer myself, but I'd imagine it must accelerate pretty slowly with a load like that... Is your's the v8 or v6? How was braking?

Keep the pics coming! Fantastic start :)

:ttiwwp:

Tractor and trailer close to 4,500. Trailer brakes are hydraulic, which compared to electric are terrible (too easy to lock them). V8 engine. Mileage is worse than abysmal -- we're talking about 200 miles to a tank, so about 9 mpg. :)

More than capable;

b818bd858473684e705fd2271d7c3fc2_zps26f4b621.jpg

Trailer plus car inside weight 6900lbs, electric brakes on the trailer, V8 engine & terrible gas mileage. FYI, this is asking all that the STA has to give & it does NOT like going up mountains with this in tow.

2009DreamCruise006-Copy_zps1a87f1a1.jpg

2009 V-8 with K&N air filter Gibson exhaust and hypertech program using mid grade fuel about 16 mpg
Truck bed loaded with stuff car and dolly about 4500# dolly has electric brakes
got about 16 mpg going about 600 miles each way to and from the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Gets lots of looks both at the car then the truck!!
Done this for 4 years on some pretty hot days with AC going and not one problem.

For loading the bike try mounting it sideways. Front wheel in the corner and back wheel in the opposite

Some amazinging loking tracs you guys got.
Gordo, never seen that color on one. Very nice!

Here's a few pics of mine hauling...

This one was no problem, pretty light trailer and bikes, if I remember right I was getting around 14 mpg on the highway
33391_731783044081_8337174_n.jpg

This is my new one though, I only get around 8 mpg in the highway, but I just bought a Hypertech so we'll see if it helps!
388378_10100267875422631_739513275_n.jpg

and I know I have a pic of my 4wheeler in the back so I'll add that this weekend when I get on my laptop at home.

Well I'm impressed! Thanks for all the great pics :)

UKPONY, that thing is HUGE! 6900lbs... I think our truck with the v8 is rated for about 7200, so your flying pretty close to the trees. I'm sure none of us want to be following you up that mountain. :rant:

kvunck, that dolly is neat. Have you got any close ups of how the car is affixed to the trailer? It looks like there is some kind of strapping around the front tires but also something down on the front axle? frame?

The enclosed trailers clearly have the benefit of security and weatherproofing, but they must be nasty with a strong crosswind. I'd guess because of their height they introduce a lot of wind drag too so that would contribute to some of the poorer mileage numbers some folks are reporting. GSU4x4 seems to have experienced that with his upgrade to an enclosed trailer (good to see more bikes, btw). Lookin' forward to seeing that 4 wheeler in the back pic.

Most of the big trailers seem to have electric brakes. How do they work? Just a servo on a caliper? Flounder mentioned that the hydraulics would lock up easily... that's gotta be scary. :eek:

The more the merrier! I really enjoyed refreshing this page and seeing all these pics, thanks again.

btw, I KNOW there are more out there.... :smoke:

Well I'm impressed! Thanks for all the great pics :)

UKPONY, that thing is HUGE! 6900lbs... I think our truck with the v8 is rated for about 7200, so your flying pretty close to the trees. I'm sure none of us want to be following you up that mountain.

The enclosed trailers clearly have the benefit of security and weatherproofing, but they must be nasty with a strong crosswind. I'd guess because of their height they introduce a lot of wind drag too so that would contribute to some of the poorer mileage numbers some folks are experiencing.

It is a bit large, 20ft plus the V nose. My first run with this was to Bozeman, MT - there are lots of mountains between Helena & Bozeman. Depending on how long the climb was I was doing between 40-50kmh at the top.

With a load levelling hitch & a stabilizer bar the rig is very stable (I bought an '02 F250 after that first journey but the truck like suspension made for a very scary driving (wobbly) experience compared to the STA). I ordered the trailer with a 6" reduction in height to help reduce drag, if I were to do it again I would order a 12" height reduction to bring the trailer height closer to the truck height.

The straps over the tires are made to form a pocket over tire then ratchet down. What you see hanging down are 2 safety chains from the lower control arm to the dolly. It is kind of a pita because the car is a automatic so I have to pull the driveshaft and put a plug in so it doesn't hurt the trans.

Back