Proper High side & Low side pressures? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proper High side & Low side pressures?

PDA1

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Year: 1996
Make: Ford
Model: Explorer
Engine Size: 4.0
Refrigerant Type: R-134a
Ambient Temp: 65
Pressure Low: 45
Pressure High: 140

I just replaced the compressor, orifice and dryer on my Explorer. Naturally, I flushed the system out.

I put in 24oz of R-134a. (there is supposed to be 26oz in the system....I wish those cans had more than 12 oz in them!)

The a/c system cools very nicely.....so far.

Do you think my pressures are good?

Do you think I should add more R-134a?

Can anyone direct me to a chart for proper Hi/Lo pressures on a 96 Ford Explorer 4.0L ?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I "think" its a "little" low. I always use 2x + 50% of ambient temp to figure the high side pressure.. If its 65F out then the high side should be 160ish.

BUT..

If it cools enough for the climate your in then its fine. Better to be slightly under than over charged.

Also, I'm assuming you don't have a VOR (variable orifice tube). Those will give you higher idle readings as their job is to increase the pressure differential at idle.

~Mark

The text says nothing about it being a variable one and since those cost more I'm pretty sure you didn't get one. Most places don't even know they exist.

You usually only see them used in really hot climates..

~Mark

Taken from the Haynes Book.......

Note: The following pressure specs are for systems in good operating condition, at sea level and (unless otherwise noted) at an ambient temp of 80 degrees F.

'95 (and '96) Ford Explorer

Automatic Systems

Low side 20-50
High side 160-250

Manual Systems

Low side 22-50
High side 160-250

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

PS..........since you asked about the clutch cycling in your other posts.......

In the Haynes book there is a troubleshooting/comparison chart (for the Ford Fixed Orifice Tube system). I suggest that you buy the book, as there are specific test conditions that need to be considered.

Back