proramming new remote entry key fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

proramming new remote entry key fob

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
This is a little strange, but maybe it will help someone. My used 2001 Explorer did not come with a remote entry key fob and only had one "smart key". Buy the way, I found a great place to buy this kind of thing on ebay. The seller is called "keygirl2009". Purcased one of each for $13.75 and $13.59 respectively and they came w/in a couple of days. And yes,I know I'll need a locksmith to program the smart key as I only have one.

Anyway, everything I've read about how to program a new remote fob is basically the same. Get in the truck, unlock the doors using the lock/unlock button on the driver door, insert the key into the ignition and turn it from off to on eight times ending with leaving it in the on position. Then the locks are supposed to cycle once to indicate programming mode and I'm supposed to press any key on the remote (w/in 20 secs) to have it recognized.

I did this and nothing happened. Then (for some reason) I tried turning the ignition key from the accessory position to on multiple time. On the fifth time the locks cycled, I pressed a button on my remote, the locks cycled again and my fob now works perfectly. Go figure...

Edit.

Apparently not. Did you even read my thread? And I do have one original key, but the key isn't the issue. Its the procedure that differed. My remote works great.

Back