Puddle Lamps

RIcArDO1697

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '00 Sport
Hi, i have a question ......
can i install side view mirrors w/puddle lamps when my explorer don't have puddle lamps???? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will not have the correct harnesses, but you can always rewire them in if you want...

all the explorer's have the puddle lamp wire???

i doubt it .
i have those puddle lamps ,nothing to write home about .i really dont see the need for them .
if your bent on having them you would need to wire them thru the door jam and connect their hot lead to the running lamp system.
when i open my ex with the keyless the running lights come on as well as the puddle lamps.
so you need to connect to that system.

i doubt it .
i have those puddle lamps ,nothing to write home about .i really dont see the need for them .
if your bent on having them you would need to wire them thru the door jam and connect their hot lead to the running lamp system.
when i open my ex with the keyless the running lights come on as well as the puddle lamps.
so you need to connect to that system.

Can i connect the wire to the dome lights???

You should be able to connect it to any switched sire that powers when the lights turn on, like the dome.

I'm tapping into mine to turn on the to-be installed door lights. Those lights on the bottom of the inner door were WAY more useful than the puddle lamps. The interior is too dark when trying to find stuff on the floor at night.

(If I had anything on my floor) :D

You should be able to connect it to any switched sire that powers when the lights turn on, like the dome.

I'm tapping into mine to turn on the to-be installed door lights. Those lights on the bottom of the inner door were WAY more useful than the puddle lamps. The interior is too dark when trying to find stuff on the floor at night.

(If I had anything on my floor) :D

Thanks for the tip :)

If interested, the lights for the door panels can be picked at the junkyard from '95-'97 (I think '98 they were gone?)

These:

IMG_0853.jpg

The ones in the later Gen II, lights gone:

IMG_2701.jpg

The backers are already there, all you need are the lightbulb harnesses and the 1/2 clear, 1/2 red lenses off of the older truck.

The easiest way to do it if you don't have puddle lights on your 97 and older truck, is to take apart the 2 sets of mirrors, lit and unlit. put the normal unlit harness in the lit housings, Then run the wires for the lights down with the plug into the door and splice it into the wiring in the door for the courtesy lights by the door pockets

Si

I think I will install the puddle lamps and the door lights:)

wait so the 98 will have the wiring in the door for the panel lights?

Back