Pulls to the right. Not alignment. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulls to the right. Not alignment.

There has to be a reason for everything. If the truck shows it's in alignment, "spec'ed to a T" or whatever, but still pulls, then something is wrong. If it were me I would tear down the brakes completely, pull the rotor, and all down to the spindle and then re-assemble, torquing all to spec and doing it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine kinda wandered even after the new tires were put on , took it to a recomended alignment shop to have it aligned , they replaced the cam on the drivers side and said all the suspension parts were in good shape otherwise and they were able to get the alignment to spec`s, got it back and the thing pulls to the right !! took it back and they re-checked the alignment and said it was "right on spec`s where it was supposed to be" i told them it didnt do it till after they aligned it ,so they rotated around the tires to see if that was it but it still pulled to the right , they finally told me that since it was a 4wd it was almost impossible to get a perfect alignment and it would be something i would have to live with !! but i think i read somewhere that front coil spring sag will cause it to pull to one side ? has anyone else heard of that ??

Now that you mention it, when my alignment was done buddy said that my camber, I belive, was adjusted as far as it could go. He said if I put new springs in, it would solve that. So maybe that is helping cause my pull along with my radius arm bushings even though the alignment reads OK. The only trouble is, I didn't think the front sagged too much at all. Hmm......
Peace

Oh I forgot to mention, falls guy, here is what an experienced alignment guy told me last time I had mine done: That MOST of these old front coil springs sag after years of use, and it is very common on these trucks (Rangers, EXplorers, Bronco II's). The sagging springs can cause hell with getting them aligned. They might spec out on the alignment just fine, but the whole front end geometry is based on the sagging springs...not un-sagged springs...even if they sag only 1/8" it can do it.

Sagging springs???? Might explain why I don't have these problems cause I got new 2" springs.

Jason94sport said:
Sagging springs???? Might explain why I don't have these problems cause I got new 2" springs.

thats why i feel its stupid to put 2" coil spacers on old springs hah. its just going to level out stock!

Rhett said:
Oh I forgot to mention, falls guy, here is what an experienced alignment guy told me last time I had mine done: That MOST of these old front coil springs sag after years of use, and it is very common on these trucks (Rangers, EXplorers, Bronco II's). The sagging springs can cause hell with getting them aligned. They might spec out on the alignment just fine, but the whole front end geometry is based on the sagging springs...not un-sagged springs...even if they sag only 1/8" it can do it.
Thanks man. Now I really want to get new springs! I've been putting it off for a while now. I just gotta find some 2" coils and f-150 seats somewhere up here in Canada. The dealer will probably have the seats I think. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
Peace

Alignment

I just got mine back from the alignment after my 5.5 superlift and while driving it i notice it has an ever so slight pull to the right and when looking at the camber from the front, the passenger side tire is still leaning a bit
/--o-|
So i call him back and he says that the alignment is within spec but he has the truck set up for road crown, basically most streets have a crown to deal with water run off, some are different than others, and winnipeg roads are bad, but i dunno about this. what do you guys think, he said it was all within spec tho. As for the pulling, he said it was probably the tires and that i should rotate them to see if it changes.

Try the tires first. I can't belive how that does work sometimes.

Yeah i could see that working with tires but what im having trouble with is the camber and road crown issue. Have you ever heard that before? All the pictures i see on this site of aligned X's after lifts and the camber is perfect. I look at mine and /--o-| but at the same time i could see his point about the road crown too, so im not sure what to think.

the alignment is within spec but he has the truck set up for road crown

I can't believe any shop would say this & do it & still stay it's in spec. How can it be? Makes no sense. I'd demand they put it back the way it's supposed to be.

It's not supposed to be that way.

I did a little looking around on the net and found alot of stuff about road crown and alignment and it does say that any experienced alignment tech will compensate for road crown. Im going to see about getting a second opinion from another alignment outfit.

If its pulling to the right, then his "road crown" setting is wrong. Without it, it might very well drive straight.

Infragate said:
I did a little looking around on the net and found alot of stuff about road crown and alignment and it does say that any experienced alignment tech will compensate for road crown. Im going to see about getting a second opinion from another alignment outfit.

That would be a good thing getting a second opinion but if changes need to be made to your alignment , you are going to be paying twice . :fire:

ve4ron said:
That would be a good thing getting a second opinion but if changes need to be made to your alignment , you are going to be paying twice . :fire:

Thats true, but he would have learned a valuable lesson for the future. Namely who NOT to let work on his front end. Actually, I hope its as simple as a correct allignment. Thats an easy fast fix. :D

Yeah, well at this point i probably will never deal with this outfit again, mainly because of the customer service of one of the guys there. I was about to tell him to go F**k himself but i didn't have my truck back at the time, lol. But as for the pulling, im going to try and switch the front tires and see what comes of it. I just took the truck and stopped down a few streets that had some regular road crown, got out and looked at the Camber and it looked ok, but on flat ground you can see its out, so maybe he did ok with the camber issue, i mean the camber will change with the pivot motion of the TTB anyway. I will let you guys know if anything changes with the tire swap.
Thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.

Dan

one thing ot to check are your brake lines. if you lifted it with out moving or adding longer lines you could be sretching the line so that when you use the brakes there is more pressure so the brakes work fine but when you release the brake the fuild can't travel back. so the one brake will still be applied causing the pull.

My brake lines were changed to new pro comp stainless lines, there is no way the lift could have went on with stock brakelines, its just not possible, well atleast on my truck. If new brakelines weren't added then i would have no business lifting it in the first place.

If you think it is the springs switch sides and see if it still pulls. I also read something awhile back that said that when the R/A bushing is compressed over time that it flattens out and there is not enough thread on the arm to compress it properly. A fix was to add a second washer to the bushing to give you more space to tighten.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back