Purchasing ESP over 100k miles..worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchasing ESP over 100k miles..worth it?

ChrisExplore

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I've had this 2004 explorer for about 4 and half years. I purchased it with about 60,000 miles on it. For the most part its been good but if I didn't have the ESP (premium care) I would have been paying through my nose with repairs.

Here is a list of things I can remember being done:

-Differential Overhaul
-Replaced Transmission
-Thermostat housing replaced
-Alternator
-idler pulley and tension
-Tie rods
-Sway bar bushings
-ABS sensors
-Tire Pressure sensors
-The module that recognize the TP sensors
-Wheel bearings
-harmonic balancer

^ these are just the ones I can remember, there is more plus the rental charges and tows

I've save quite a bit and myself not being mechanically inclined; the esp comes in handy.

I have 103,000 on the truck now and my premium care esp expires at 105,300.

I've just tried a few websites and I'm not sure if I can get the premium care anymore. The next one that is available is the Extra Care.

I was thinking about going to a dealership getting them to do an inspection to see if anything is wrong with it and see what is covered under the warranty. I've found that most dealers (minus the ones I frequent for repairs) doesn't check for extended warranty so they will be more eager to point out things that's wrong with the vehicle.

Any advice on purchasing another esp? Thanks in advance

What's the cost and what does it cover?

You seem to have made a very wise choice. On average, extended warranties in the US only pay out between 8 and 11 cents on the dollar.

Back