98 ford explorer 5.0 awd over 100k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ford explorer 5.0 awd over 100k miles

GregsEdge

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ranger
I'm doing a 5.0 swap in my 03 ranger reg cab with a 3.0. I'm buying a used explorer for around 2200 98 5.0 AWD with about 120k miles on it. I'm going to be swapping it into my ranger. So basically my question is will this still be a good Daily driver for a good year before I can rebuild it? How long will the tranny and transfer case last?

Another question is the driveshaft from the explorer. Will it go right into my reg cab ranger without modification?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tranny and the tc are pretty stout. I think they could handle up to about 500 hp before you start hitting trouble. Does the ranger have a 7.5 or 8.8 inch rearend?

ranger has 8.8 28 spline rear end.

by having the whole explorer tho I figure I could even swap the rear axle as well. I forgot to mention I'm doing the AwD swap into the ranger as well.

AWD T cases are good but they do fail
I assume your truck is a 4wd now?

If you take care of it yes it should last a year, as long as it was running good when pulled.
This gives you a chance to go through it while it is out, when I did my conversion I did the lower and upper intake gaskets, valve covers, new O rings on the fuel injectors, new water pump, plugs, thermostat, etc etc.
Also you can cut apart the oil transmission filter and see what kind of stuff is in there, if anything.

the 4r70w is a good transmission and will last as long as it was not overheated and the fluid was changed at good intervals.

I would say you should be good for a year, but alot depends on how well it was maintained previously.

Have fun!

no I'm 2wd but I'll be swappiing everything from the explorer to convert to AWD

Yikes
Hopefully it will work for you, I am not sure if the Ranger 2wd and Explorer AWD/4x4 are the same as far as frame and crossmembers go.
In the past generations there have been some slight differences.

Are you sure you want the AWD T case? Now is the time to get a selectable case, but I guess it depends on what you are using the truck for.
As I understand it ( I own two AWD 96's) the AWD t case is basically a 70-30 split, 70% to the rear, 30% up front, not a true AWD system (power to the wheel that grips type)

I was not happy with the fuel economy or the way the AWD explorer drove, so I will be swapping over to a 2wd, 4hi, 4 lo case in my 96 Project explorer...

From what I'm aware of the 98 was built off of the ranger frame and should work fine? Also I can get a new selectable case in the future right? I'm on a budget now.

I figured out since I have an "edge" with torsion bar front suspension, same as 4x4 setups. Crossmembers will be the same! I'm all go

All I am saying is you may be the first to attempt this conversion. Even though everything we know says the Edge frame is the same, until you actually do it you never really know.
There are brackets that mount up the diff and axle housing on the 4x4 models, hopefully the mounting points are on your Edge frame.

You can always get a selectable case later yes, however some cases require the output shaft in the 4r70W to be swapped out, this would require removal of the transmission again. No big deal you are just limiting yourself to the full size truck cases (like you have probably seen AWD guys convert to on this forum).

It should, in theory, be mostly a bolt up conversion. Should be pretty cool too!
If you have an edge you should also have the 31 spline rear axle.

the FX4 Rangers have the 31 spline but the edges have the 28 spline.

Is the explorers rear a 8.8 31 spline? So Couldnt I just that? Thx

Yes I think this will be very cool as well and in the future after I get this done I will be doing a convert to selectable 4x4 and a superlift as well.

Your great man thx for all the help so far! I havent been around this site long but ill do a search for the AWD guys converting to 4x4. Thank you! :thumbsup:

hmmm interesting info on the edge, thanks.
Yes you can use the explorer rear, but you will have to convert it to spring over and also get your truck ready for rear disc brakes :)

Back