Purchasing OEM 4 Door Fender Flares? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchasing OEM 4 Door Fender Flares?

Morris Capers

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xlt 5.0 Awd
I have searched the internet trying to find a place that sells oem fender flares for a 97 ford explorer 4 door and have not found any places. Does anyone know where I could source a new set? Particularly the rears?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try LMC Truck. They make OEM style replacement body parts for the Explorers

Try LMC Truck. They make OEM style replacement body parts for the Explorers
Surprisingly, they don't sell them. I'd hate it if my only options were junkyard explorers because the only yard near me has no flares.

Salvage yard. There's no reason for anyone to be making these parts (not yet anyway), Personally I don't like the flares, but that's just my opinion.

FYI. The two different style fender flares for gen 2's have different mounting hole locations. Tried swapping one style from my '99 Eddie Bauer to my '98 Eddie Bauer with the other style and it won't work.

FYI. The two different style fender flares for gen 2's have different mounting hole locations. Tried swapping one style from my '99 Eddie Bauer to my '98 Eddie Bauer with the other style and it won't work.

Ditto, there are a ton of holes which have clips go into them, to hold the flares on. I knew that the 95-98 fenders had different holes than the 99-01 fenders, I wasn't sure about the quarter panels or rear doors.

Used parts are the only choices, but they are very tough parts. My 99 I bought wrecked(rolled and totaled), I reused all of the flares and running boards. I only had to replace one short piece at the side of the hatch. The plastic was peppered with scratches and gouges, all minor and they filled easily to be like new. The mounting clips behind the flares are less sturdy, you may have to buy some extra pieces of those, to end up with the needed amount.

I suggest avoiding the flares to add to one, or consider adding just the base model front flares which are about half the size. Those don't attach with fender holes, just small self tapping screws hold them on inside the wheel well edge.

Back