Purpose for Quick Connect Power Cable at Trailer Hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purpose for Quick Connect Power Cable at Trailer Hitch?

EarthBoundX5

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU 3.7L
I recently purchased a 2014 PIU, and when checking out the underside, I noticed a decently thick power cable going from the front to the rear trailer hitch.

I have pictures to post, but apparently while I am able to post images to the main Explorer section, I don't seem to be able to in the PIU section. fixed!

1610698513321.png

1610698543136.png

Looking it up, it appears to be a Warn brand cable from one of these packs:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029XFG0/?tag=serious-20

The Red is not connected to the plug, and has tape around it as if it was intentionally disconnected. Or maybe just pulled out and lazily covered? It's clear I'd have to replace the plug, so I'm wondering a few things...

1. What would the purpose for this have been for a fleet vehicle? What is the OEM purpose, so to say. For jumping cars, mounting a winch, etc?
2. Since I have to replace the plug, does anyone have any ideas? Mountable connections that might be better?
3. I need to get power to my trunk at some point to install a subwoofer; would it be smart to find or make some sort of junction box for this wire, and have separate lines coming out from it to service the original purpose as well as getting power into the trunk? I've not removed the panels to see if I already have power, but I only have a plate over where the rear cigarette lighter would be...so I am setting my expectations low.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this!

This is not OEM. It was likely added by whatever PD Fleet Shop had it before you. It was likely used to power some sort of trailer, I'm guessing. Maybe your Explorer was used to haul a trailer used for public events. Not sure why as I'm sure they would have trucks for that, just making a guess.

But it's definitely not OEM.

This is not OEM. It was likely added by whatever PD Fleet Shop had it before you. It was likely used to power some sort of trailer, I'm guessing. Maybe your Explorer was used to haul a trailer used for public events. Not sure why as I'm sure they would have trucks for that, just making a guess.

But it's definitely not OEM.
Thanks for the reply! Ya, I know I'd used poor wording. I wasn't quite sure how to say it, but by OEM I meant would anyone happen to know the common or intended use case for it, as far as why it'd have been added to the PIU (which you've answered!).

Thanks again, is there any other purposes you know of that would mean I should keep it where it's at? Or should I put a junction box of somekind in the back bumper and use it to feed power elsewhere in the back? You or anyone have any thoughts on that?

Might be someone was using it to supply a power inverter for 110 volt power?? Already power junction behind right rear panel a pair of 50 amp fuses.

Back