• Register Today It's free!

Put on my AZ Shackles... BUT...

98EBinMO

Reaction score
City, State
West Plains, Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x4
I put on my cheapo shackles tonight and something weird happened...

I measured before and after...

The measurements were measured from the wheelwell to the floor (in the same place before and after) & the results were:

FRONT:

Drivers Pass.

33 3/16 33 5/8 Before
33 3/4 34 After

REAR:

Drivers Pass.

32 3/8 32 3/4 Before
34 1/4 34 1/2 After

Any idea why it raised the front?

Also, it raised it A LOT in the rear!!! It looks like 2 1/2 to 3 inches, but as you can see it was only about 1 3/4 to 2 inches (this was going from 6 in. bolt hole to hole shackle to 8.5 inches on the new shackle...)

I am not sure yet whether I like it- it has a rake of 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch (higher in the rear,) but I think it will grow on me!!!:)

Sorry for the long post- hope this helps someone else, and any answers (and questions) are welcomed!!!:D

THANKS!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HELLO!!!

Anybody there???

Please help...

Thanks

It raises the front because raising any one point on the vehicle will take some pressure off the other points as well. The mathematical reason is due to the total sum of the forces on the vehicle having to equal zero when the vehicle is at rest. When you raised the rear, the force vector on the front wheels changed slightly due to the change in the angle the frame sits at. By lifting the rear you change the angle the vehicle sits. Therefore, the force vector on the front wheel now has a horizontal component as well as a vertical component. Since the sum of the forces =0 and the horizontal component has increased, the vertical component must decrease, thus the increase in height at the front.

Hope that answers your question :D

JDraper - You didn't need to put it in physics or engineering terms, but I do think it makes it easier to understand. Its the simple formula of every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Gravity always acts downward and a force (horiz and vert) must combine to overcome the force of gravity. If not, the forces will no oppose gravity and the load will drop. Therefore, the combined forces (horiz and vert) change angle when another force of greater magnitude is increased. Thats why the rear pulled the front vertically higher. I still think JDraper did a better job explaining than I did.

Originally posted by VBVASploder
JDraper - You didn't need to put it in physics or engineering terms...

Ya should have seen it as I was typing it. I had all the formula's and math in there :rolleyes:. Fortunately, some semblance of sanity took over and I cut about 30 lines of text and stuff out. :p :confused:

Interesting...

JDraper, VBVASploder, and anyone else wanting to
join in:

Believe it or not, I was hoping that was it...;)

I am wondering if raising it a total of 2 inches in the rear will grossly affect handling...

I am going to replace the swaybar bushings with Daystar Poly's soon, so that should help....

I can lower it using the next hole up, but it will drop it about 1 1/2 inch- therefore I will be back to being higher in the front... (bummer huh...)

Do you think it will have adverse affects if I leave it with a 1/2 inch rake (to the rear?)
(It has overload springs too-by the way...)

Thanks for your input.. :eek:

You will probably need to get an alignment done since you are changing the suspension geometry. Usually it changes the toe-in on the front wheels when you change the front ride height. The truck will handle better if it sits level, so you might want to crank the torsion bars up in the front just enough to match the lift that the shackles put in.

Question: Get tires before alignment?

JDraper,

Thanks- I am looking on getting an alignment soon- however, I am looking at getting new tires...

Should I get the tires first (I've heard it is better to get it aligned with new tires...)

I hope my tires don't wear out too fast...:eek: :confused:

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS GIVEN ME ADVICE ON THIS BOARD!!! It has been extremely helpful...:)

ALSO- I have a 98 E.B.- I am wondering if we could somehow start a post where people record their measurements front and rear... I am wondering how much higher mine is than stock...

THANKS...

Cranked my t-bars at lunch...

Hey, I torqued the torsions at lunch... I'm gettin' to be a pro at it- it took about 10 min. to do both sides...

I am going to drive it for a while and see how it levels out...

Anyone that has done this...

Does the front sag over time (i.e. do you have to crank them again later???)

Thanks...:cool:

ive been driving fo r 3 years with the tt and no adverse affects. i had to replace ball joints but it seems to be a popular part to go out. you will need to get an alignment as it will affect the toe in of your tires. i disconnected the rear sway bar. i reconnected when i moved from va to fl and towed an overloaded trailer but even a small trailer with a riding lawn mower i dont feel the afects of no sway bar and it dramatically affects your articulation in the rear off road. good luck!

I guess I just must be lucky since I have been driving around for the last 55K miles with my torsion bars cranked up 2" and have never had an alignment done. I replaced my original Wilderness ATs at 50K miles since they had a bad vibration. They still had about 1/4" of tread left and it was even all around. My current Michelins have 41K miles on them and have a little more than 1/2" of tread and they are even all the way around.

it seems to be different for different folks. mine seem to need an alignment at least once a year or my tires scalp. mine are twisted to 2" as well.

Lifetime alignments

Don't know if Firestone has the same deal everywhere but for $129 (on sale) I bought a lifetime alignment a few months back. Before a long road trip, after some rough off road use, or just a suspension mod I just stop by and have my alignment checked/adjusted. I figure that I'll have my X for many years and will more than get my money's worth. Don't want to have to shell out $600-800 for tires any sooner than I have too. ;)

Back