• Register Today It's free!

Quaker State High Milage Oil

KillerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
PA/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Me:95 XLT, V6; Dad: 02 EB
Anyone try this oil or is it a bunch of BS? I am a major fan of Quakerstate and have
89,000 on the Explorer. I just did an oil change last week and was wondering if I should try
this new High milage oil that QuakerState offers on my next oil change. By the way what grade
oil have you guys been using? I live in NJ and have a V6 XLT w/ 89,000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get synthetic

If you want a high mileage oil, switch to a synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. For ULTRA high mileage, get AMSOIL. If the Quaker State isn't a full synthetic, forget it.

The synthetic blends are a rip-off, as well. If it's not a full synthetic, save your money and change with dino oil more frequently.

Regards,
Brian in CA

oil

its BS. dont buy it. Quaker state has all these "types" out now.."4x4 oil" thats 10w40...forget it.

Like Brian said, Mobil 1 or Syntec is a better oil for high mileage and otherwise. I perfer Castrol all around but any major oil brand will do fine.

Just use the normal regular stuff thats on the shelf..either dino or synthetic. No "4x4 formula" or "Nascar Racing Truck" stuff...you dont need it.

Use 5W30 or whatever your owners manual recommends. I think all 4.0s use 5W30. 10W30 is ok if you live in a REALLY hot climate.

Re: Get synthetic

Originally posted by briantf

The synthetic blends are a rip-off, as well. If it's not a full synthetic, save your money and change with dino oil more frequently.

Uh, if the blends are a rip off, then why would many people suggest using them when going from dino to full synthetic? I have seen others mention that before going to synthetic it is a good idea to blend the two together before going all synthetic. Isnt it the same as mixing 50% dino and 50% Synthetic, only easier?

When I was going to auto school, my instructor showed us how to pick a good oil. Step 1, look on the back side of the bottle, and look to see how many of the outer rings are filled in on the circle (the more rings the filled in the more approvals it has passed). Step 2, check the price. Synthetics, (I would have to assume) are designed to act like oil, but have better over all quallitys.
Along with a higher price tag. The question you have to ask is, why arn't the auto dealers using the synthetics ? Are they to cheap? Or, when they did there life testing, did they find thet there wasn't enough differance between the two oil products, over all, to warrent the higher price tag? Oil is just like anythig else on the market. If the oil Co. can market the product well enough to make you think it's o.k. to be lazy,and put that oil change off for another 1,000 miles. Well... then we'll buy it! I would suggest going with what the auto manufacture suggest. After all, when the motor fails under warranty, who's going to be taking the oil samples to there lab, to check to see if you vioded the warranty ? Oh yea.. most of us are well beyond are warranty. Sorry I ramble !

synthetic

Just some additional info on synthetics. All 98-2000 Porsche (the Boxer has recommended oil change intervals of 15,000 miles in the manual) and any of the current GM vehicles that use the LT-1 engine use Mobil One and you void the warranty if you do not use an equivalent. There was a post on this site that tested synthetic using an oil analysis every filter change and the synthetic preformed beyond advertised claims.

At the last oil change - early December - I replaced the dino oil with QuakerState 4x4 synthetic blend. I did not go full synthetic because I had heard that with higher mileage engines - mine's over120K - that full synthetic tends to leak because it flows better and will seap through any gaps that dino oil could not get through. Well, I had a leak with dino and it leaks the same with the blend. I'll probably go with the blend for the next change and bump it up to full synthetic. I understand the benefits of full synthetic over dino, but why do the blends get such a bad rap? I figure it is at least a step in the right direction and about half the cost of full synthetic.

The blends get such a bad rap because they are a gimmick and a ripoff. Oil companies put 5% synthetic into their product, call it a "blend", and charge double the cost of regular oil. Blends are NOT 50% synthetic as you evidently assume.

Some of you who have posted on this thread are fairly new on the board, so I'll give you two extremely interesting links to study for awhile.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11225

Dead Link Removed

Back