Syn Oil on High Milage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Syn Oil on High Milage?

Use nothing but the synthetic oil; no addatives or any kind of snake oil.

I use Amsoil ATF ( synthetic ) in my tranny. It definately helps.

Also put some Amsoil in the differential(s).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the addative is needed with Mobil 1 fluid. I never added any and it always worked fine.

I have heard the logic against changing to synthetic oil at higher mileages has to do with the detergents in synthetic oil. Synthetic oils usually have a lot more detergents that standard dino juice. The sudden addition of oil with a lot of deterents will start to remove some of the deposits accumulated over time and therefore may cause some leaking. True or not, I don't know - its only the message I was taught.

Personally, I run a "homemade" synthetic blend. 4 quarts Pennzoil 5w-30 to 1 quart Mobil1 5W-30 and change at 4k intervals. Its cheaper than buying 5 quarts of synthetic blend oil.

Put 0W30 Mobil 1 in my new Mounty at 65K.....

Originally posted by aldive
I don't think the addative is needed with Mobil 1 fluid. I never added any and it always worked fine.

The addative is 100% needed in limited slip differentials. You dont do a diffy service with out it- its even a factory spec for explorers.

if you dont add that your limited slip will burn up

To quote from Amsoil website....

>>AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube provides limited slip performance. Although generally not necessary, original equipment manufacturers' limited slip additives may be used in conjunction with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.<<

It says "although not GENERALLY necessary" , they're promoting their product as better than others.

go to any mechanic place and even on Mitchell, you dont do a diffy job without it.

90k, props to you- im glad nothing has gone wrong with it yet. But ill stick with what every mechanic and technical bulletin says over amsoils website.

Back