Quality is not job 1 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quality is not job 1

Funny you brought this up. My x-sport goes in tomorrow(400 miles on the OD), The door gap on the rear doors is not aligned and they are uneven when closed. Look like the doors are warped at the bottom. Terrible fit and finish! Shame on me, for not noticing this initially.

Like the OP, I assumed for upwards of 50K the vehicle would have the TLC anyone would expect.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think these guys have every right to complain. Just because ford sells a ton of cars doesn't mean some of them can suck. These decked out explorers are $50000. Fifty thousand! We should complain loudly when they are defective and ford should listen carefully! I don't blame anyone for moving on after trying two in a row and not feeling they were getting their money's worth. These don't sound like complaints from fuss buckets who will never be satisfied. They sound like genuine problems.

We have not bought a Ford in decades and are very impressed with the quality of our Explorer Sport. We now have 9,000 miles and have no issues... not even a squeek or rattle. It's quality BY FAR is the best new vehicle we've ever purchased and we've purchased about 18 new cars. My only problem is my wife likes it so much she wants me to buy another new car so she can have the Explorer. Hello Charger Hellcat :)

I attached some pics of the fit and finish
IMG_1051_zpseb0b4696.jpg

IMG_1048_zps8ecf7f33.jpg

IMG_1046_zps8c434069.jpg

IMG_1040_zps66cd1fa8.jpg

All 5th gen Explorers are built at the Chicago Assembly Plant but the parts aren't necessarily manufactured there. It is an accepted fact that many parts are 'outsourced' and then shipped to the plant to be assembled. That is why it is called the 'Assembly' plant. Also, I don't believe that the paint issue is an issue that affects the majority of the models. Why it does affect some and what the actual cause is, that is the question.

Peter

Making insolent assumptions that I don't know what an assembly plant is, is your first mistake.

My resume in the auto industry is long and includes work in the plants you describe.

The problem is leadership over this model and does in fact involve the culture of the different plants.

notions to the contrary aren't even worth discussion.

The first part of your reply is totally off the mark and uncalled for. I was simply making a statement to the fact that parts aren't necessarily manufactured at the same plant where the vehicle is 'assembled'. I agree with the second part. Merry Christmas.

Peter

Funny you brought this up. My x-sport goes in tomorrow(400 miles on the OD), The door gap on the rear doors is not aligned and they are uneven when closed. Look like the doors are warped at the bottom. Terrible fit and finish! Shame on me, for not noticing this initially.

Like the OP, I assumed for upwards of 50K the vehicle would have the TLC anyone would expect.

Mike
Thanks for posting the pictures. In my opinion there is no way the vehicle should have left the factory like that. I hope that the dealer is able to make the necessary adjustments to make it right. I don't think this issue is limited to Ford. I've seen many different brands over the years with similar issues. Good luck. Best of the season to you and yours.

Peter

Thanks for posting the pictures. In my opinion there is no way the vehicle should have left the factory like that. I hope that the dealer is able to make the necessary adjustments to make it right. I don't think this issue is limited to Ford. I've seen many different brands over the years with similar issues. Good luck. Best of the season to you and yours.

Peter

I agree it's just not a Ford thing. Normally I am much more observant when I make a vehicle purchase. My 2014 Silverasdo LTZ Z71 Crew cab had to go back for similiar work. Upon purchase, I was afraid that my garage door opener (when Up) was going to rub, so I opened the sunroof, pulled the truck half way in, stuck my head out to check for clearance and noticed the roof had been damaged. They were able to fix it without paint or bondo.

I turned it in this morning, body shop mgr told me this is the second one in a week that they have to fix. I looked out on the lot and it appears that out of twenty, nine will need the same.

Happy Holidays,
Mike

aXm7yHIIFnme1nZhkC1JMve2lrJYms6fGil6bQqOWAtTVtwy_w.jpg

I'm an engineer and have been involved in quality control, quality assurance. I'm flabbergasted at how little Ford pays attention to things as of late. For a vehicle that is north of 50K here in Canada the Explorer Sport should be a refined vehicle. Now I know that a Ford is a Ford and if a person wants a vehicle that's high end you can buy an Acura or BMW etc.....

However, the types of things that have transpired over the last 3-4 years with the Explorer are completely unacceptable. The MFT debacle, A pillars rattling and flying off. Overheating issues, steering issues, electrical issues and of course my favourite, the rear hatch leak. What gets me is the offhanded approach the Ford Motor Co of Canada has taken toward these problems. Why is it that I feel like I'm bothering my Ford Rep when I try to contact him.... Why is it he didn't call me back when I was trying to get answers as to why my vehicle was leaking so profusely. I guess if you ignore a customer long enough the problem will just go away. The only saving grace in the whole process was a dealership that went above and beyond (Riverview Ford Lincoln). Quality vehicle. No. I don't think so. Would I be able to say to someone that I recommend this vehicle. Absolutely not. Not just for it's shortcomings but also for the approach Ford has taken. Applying caulking to a vehicle to stop a leak is far from acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Caulking eventually dries out. Cracks and splits. Seams move and open up. As soon as I'm able to dump this vehicle I will.

This was my second Explorer. I had a 2011 Limited before my 2013 Explorer Sport. That vehicle was a complete disaster. I guess it's my own fault for thinking that Ford would have taken some pride in their product and fixed the "little things" that make a difference. Have a look at the image below. Basic QA/QC..... Ford is missing some of the more obvious parts. Monitor, Measure and Improve comes to mind. For those who will take Ford's side I say this. Why is it that I find some of the very same issues (that should have been picked up before the vehicle was put on the market) 3 years after I bought my Limited. I'll tell you why. They failed to monitor the situation, they failed to measure, and although they have improved on some issues, (quick fixes) they have failed to improve their product. Like all big business, cutting corners at the customers expense to make some extra money is Job 1. Not quality. Do yourself a favour and spend the extra 10K to buy something a little higher end. Take your pick, just don't pick an Explorer.

qc-qa.jpg

Thanks for posting this broken strut.

I have been on the fence about replacing my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with a Sport for 3 years now. I keep hoping that Ford will fix these REOCCURRING problems . . . . but sadly it does not look like they will.

There are plenty of other choices.

Wow there are some serious issues with that build......vibration issues with drivetrain and suspension are significant engineering flaws.

Who tested these vehicles?

Thats brutal.....makes a few door fit and finish issues seem minor.

I agree those doors should be perfect coming out of CAP, especially since they installed the laser auditing system that checks fit & alignment before it goes to the storage lot for shipping.

and as i said before, every single one of your posts is a negative post. You are not helpful in the least on here.. Frankly i don't know why you bother coming on an enthusiast site to be such a miserable person on here.

Why don't you go sell it so you can actually be happy.....

+1

Wow there are some serious issues with that build......vibration issues with drivetrain and suspension are significant engineering flaws.

Who tested these vehicles?

Thats brutal.....makes a few door fit and finish issues seem minor.

I agree those doors should be perfect coming out of CAP, especially since they installed the laser auditing system that checks fit & alignment before it goes to the storage lot for shipping.

What's even worse is this is not limited to the Escalade, it is affecting all new GM full size SUV's, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon.

What's even worse is this is not limited to the Escalade, it is affecting all new GM full size SUV's, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon.

Not all- I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ extended cab Z71 and have zero issues. Mine has Bridgestone Dueler tires on it. A guy who works for me has the same exact truck and no issues. I'm a firm believer it's the Goodyears on them.

Oops I see you made reference to SUVs, it is also affecting trucks.

Mike

Not all- I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ extended cab Z71 and have zero issues. Mine has Bridgestone Dueler tires on it. A guy who works for me has the same exact truck and no issues. I'm a firm believer it's the Goodyears on them.

Mike

The Escalades are coming with 22 inch Bridgestone tires, not Goodyear. It appears to be a suspension/driveline problem.

The first part of your reply is totally off the mark and uncalled for. I was simply making a statement to the fact that parts aren't necessarily manufactured at the same plant where the vehicle is 'assembled'.

Peter

Yet you felt the need to point out such an obvious fact --and follow it up with this gem:

That is why it is called the 'Assembly' plant.

There is no need to point this out except if you are thinking I don't know what an assembly plant is.

I found your original reply to me extremely rude and condescending. If you find my subsequent remarks offensive, there is a reason for that.

I attached some pics of the fit and finish

Damn.. I can't believe that left the factory and what is worse, I can't believe your dealer didn't notice something so obvious during prep.

NO Excuse for that..

Damn.. I can't believe that left the factory and what is worse, I can't believe your dealer didn't notice something so obvious during prep.

NO Excuse for that..

I would agree with you! After noticing this, I looked at the other ex's on the lot and mine wasn't the only one. I also checked my neighbors 2014 Limited, it was worse then mine and she never noticed until I brought it up.

A guy who I work with has a new Taurus "A" pillar on the drivers side (Top) is 1/2" different when closed. He never noticed....

Ford's QA/QC department should be ashamed!!

Pic of my friends A PILLAR on his Taurus (2014)

IMG_1055_zps2e501dba.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the almost 60k on my Sport I would say that I am not pleased with the quality of my vehicle. Additionally from the crappy dealers experience I have had before, during, and after the sale I would say they have veritically intergrated problems

Back