Question about 100,000 mile service? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about 100,000 mile service?

P-R Duce

Reaction score
City, State
HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have 2002 Explorer XLT thats about to reach 100,000 mile service. I was wondering if you have to do more than what is stated in the provided Schedule Maintenance Guide? For ex. replace water pump, alternator, starter, fuel filter, etc. I'm asking this because for some reason I feel that whats said in the guide is not enough. What did you guys do?

The suv never did any towing job. when bought in 2001 new, the only major problem was a dead battery. I already bought a Haynes manual just in case.

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Repace all fluids and filters, plugs and wires, PVC valve and fuel filter if it is time.

Congratulations on your trouble free 100k miles. Within the next 30k miles it probably would be a good idea to just go ahead and replace your water pump, alternator and fuel pump regardless if they are still working good IF you plan on driving your explorer for much longer. This is because these parts usually fail around the 100-150k miles intervals. Replace them now, or later after they fail.

I would wait until you reach 200k miles to replace the starter.

Things you can do now is to change out the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter and PVC valve, differential oil, transfercase oil, and flush the transmission ONLY IF you have previously flushed it and the fluid is not dark and dirty.

It is a good ideal to check the tolerances in your front ball joints if you have not already done so. They usually need replacing shortly after 100k miles.

Be sure to use the search feature on this forum to find a solution to a problem you are having or for repair instruction. 9 times out of 10 what you are looking for is already on the forum somewhere and you just have to search for it.

Also welcome to the forum.

If you change the plugs and wires, make sure to give yourself plenty of time. All of the passenger side plugs, #1-3, have to be access after taking the surrounding off the fender well. Once that's done its pretty easy except for the tight working space. The back two on the driver's side, #5 and #6, are pretty easy to get too, but the front driver's side, #4, is real pain since there is a piece of tubing in the way. I would recommend disconnecting it if you can and then just reconnect it back after you are completely finished. This is for a 4.0 DOHC V6 engine. Also be extra careful with some of the clips holding the plastic pieces on in the fender well. With all this work I still not sure if its worth the $180 Ford wanted to do the work for me.

I have never heard anyone suggesting to replace the water pump, fuel pump and alternator for absolutely no reason. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You DO NOT need to replace any of these items at 100,000 miles. You simply replace them when & if they fail. I've had vehicles with 200,000 miles on them with these original parts on them without issue. :scratch:

The spark plugs on the 4.0 are a cake job. You don't have to remove anything to reach them. It took me all of 30 minutes to change them out. I have no idea what the other poster was talking about. All you need is a ratchet, a few extensions & a socket. No reason to go through the wheel well. The 4.0 liter is a SOHC.

Lol yeah dude replace ALL of your fluids and filters..transmission filter would be a good idea too. But dont replace your alternator, water pump and other stuff like that, somebodys trying to rob you lol

I have never heard anyone suggesting to replace the water pump, fuel pump and alternator for absolutely no reason. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You DO NOT need to replace any of these items at 100,000 miles. You simply replace them when & if they fail. I've had vehicles with 200,000 miles on them with these original parts on them without issue. :scratch:

The spark plugs on the 4.0 are a cake job. You don't have to remove anything to reach them. It took me all of 30 minutes to change them out. I have no idea what the other poster was talking about. All you need is a ratchet, a few extensions & a socket. No reason to go through the wheel well. The 4.0 liter is a SOHC.

Double ditto. Maybe certain suspension parts. Otherwise wasteful, IMO.

You are right about the SOHC, but it is impossible without multiple extension and swivel head sockets to get to the plugs and wires on the passenger side from the top.

My first time ever atempting to do pulgs and wires, was on my 2003 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC, took me maybe 45 minutes, with my cheap tool set from harbor freight...

Mine just turned 100k.

What engine? As mentioned i'd only do schedule maintenance items, unless something is broke.
spark plugs
spark plug wires (if the v6, V8 doesn't have them)
fuel filter
PCV valve
Coolant Change
Front/Rear differential oil use a Full Syn. (did them at 50k too)
transfercase oil use what they say, its most likely a syn anyways (did them at 50k too)
transmission service only by a good shop, fluid/adjust etc. Mine was rebuilt at 50k so nothing to do here now.

Optional but not required:
Engine Belt
Check the parking brakes
brake system flush (although i've had several cars/truck over 200k on the original fluid)
They also say do the power steering but i'm not 100% convinced on that one, again several cars/truck over 200k on the original fluid)
For the last two you can wait until you have to open the systems up - imho.

Also, do a good check of hoses and vacuum lines. Fords built in the early 2000s have a habit of these lines deteriorating over time and causing all sorts of problems. My wife's 2003 Taurus has been one constant battle the past two years with hoses falling apart and causing all sorts of running issues.

Broken vacuum lines aren't a ford or early 2000's thing, it's a vacuum line thing.
For the 100,000 mile service. Just change spark plugs, diff oil, and tranny oil. No need to replace anything else. Probably wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes, and maybe flush the radiator.

sway bar links, they get rusted at 100k and sometimes they just fall off. Mine is so rusted that it took me a lot of time cutting them off (supposed to be a very easy job)

majority of the fluids needs to be changed at this point
* coolant
* differential fluid (both front and rear)
* transfer case
* transmission fluid change (not flush)

suspension
parking brake, believe me they'll get rusted and a PITA to remove (I have mine replaced when I have my rear wheel replaced under warranty, so I am good in my case)
ball joints (they're cracked at this point)

spark plugs - only use Motorcraft
pcv valve
hose
belt

clean you MAF and Throttle Body.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

Back