100,000 mile service

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
Now that I passed the 100K mile mark I need to do some work on the X. I have made a list of things Im sure I need to do but I was wondering if I missed anything else. If you can think of anything I missed or anything you think I need to check or change please let me know.

Inspect/replace underhood hoses
Check/adjust drivebelt
Inspect/Lubricate Auto Trans shift linkage
Chassis Lube
Flush Auto Trans Fluid and replace filter
Change both Diffs fluid
Change Transfer case fluid
Check/Replace PCV valve
Check/Clean fuel system
Drain, Flush, and Refill Cooling system
Inspect/Change Brakes & Lube Caliper Friction Points
Change Spark Plugs and Wires
Lube Driveshaft Slip Yokes
Check Replace Fuel Filter
Already changed motor oil and rotated tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the power steering fluid would help. And how about flushing out the brake system with some new fluid? Air filter? Clean and preserve all of the weather stripping? You sound like a maintenance freak.........definitely my kind of guy!!!!!!!!

These rigs ain't cheap and I rather do preventive stuff then have a car payment or two.

I follow this guide.
http://www.patgosscarworld.com/tmwhen.htm

Add a can of BG44K every 7,000 miles and your all set.
Chris

You might want to replace the O2 sensors too.

It's really sad that some people rip the crap out of their vehicles and do minimal maintenance and expect it to last a million miles. Then they complain that their truck is a piece of s**t for breaking down. These are the "gas-and-go" types that only do maintenance when things break. I do "over" maintenance myself; extra care now will pay off later as my Explorer grows older and older. Hell, it'll probably last longer than me!!! A big pat on the back for all those who actually take care of their trucks (Explorer or not).

I had the O2 sensors replaced already not to long ago, I had a CEL light come on and that was what it was. Those things are expensive.

Back