Question about a lowered 97 X Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about a lowered 97 X Eddie Bauer

dandsphillips

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer V8 AWD
I just got finished with the awd to 2wd swap on my X. And i have a couple of questions...I have turned the torsion bars down a little bit and noticed the tired are going to wear out really fast. If I take it to an alignment shop would they be able to fix that for me? And also if i lower the back two inches will i still have my towing cabability?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need new upper control arm alignment cams. Moog makes a set that is about $30 a side but is fully adjustable with new bolts and all.

I would not tow any trailer with more than 300lbs tongue weight being lowered 2". You only have about 3" of travel left at that point till bump stops without any weight on the rear.

Ok, ill have to find a set and order them. I see that you have the FMS headers on your mountaineer. Did you notice any power gains? Also are you still in virginia beach? Im stationed on ft belvoir in alexandria, about 25 minutes outside of DC. I would like to see your mountaineer to see how it looks lowered to give me an idea of how im going to do mine.

Here is mine. The headers make a huge difference. They are my fav mod along with 4.10 gears on stock tires :cool:

Mounty_lowered_1.jpg

Mounty_lowered_2.jpg

Did you have the EGR tube on the passneger side manifold? Did you just weld a bung into the headers? How is your gas mileage with the 4.10's? I have 3.73's and am getting about 17-18 on the highway. What did you mean on stock tires?

Did you have the EGR tube on the passneger side manifold? Did you just weld a bung into the headers? How is your gas mileage with the 4.10's? I have 3.73's and am getting about 17-18 on the highway. What did you mean on stock tires?

My FMS headers came with a bung on them, they were ones that were later released. I deleted the EGR to be honest, I just capped it. Oh MPG..... its about 15 on the hwy/ 12 city if that. I am hard on it though. By stock tires I mean stock height. Stock diameter is 28.8" and my tires on my cobra r's measure 29". I changed gears for towing and the speed factor.

Thats not bad, i normally beat on mine daily... :) thats why i did away with the awd. I want to make it a sleeper. Did your mounty come with 3.73's? And was it a big difference with the gear swap? Is your check engine light on with the EGR capped off? Are you running duals or just a single exhaust?

Factory was 3.73 and I put a magnaflow Y into 3" 44 series flowmaster and 3" all the way out. I lost alot off the line but picked up a ton of mid and upper range with the headers and exhaust because loss of back pressure. Then I went to the 4.10s and now she jumps off the line. Yes the CEL comes on with EGR removed but you can get it deleted with a tuner. Its just 1 code, PO401

i just finished lowering my sport. the cam kit that i used is a moog k80065

ok im going to order that asap...tires are getting expensive

Back