• Register Today It's free!

Question about crossmember?

SLewis

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer/89 Bronco II
I purchased a 92 EB Explorer from a salvage for the engine and running gear to put in my 89 Bronco II. When I got the Explorer home and got to looking over it I decided to rebuild it. It was in an accident that wasted the passenger side front suppension and has pushed the passenger frame rail back about an inch. Now for the question, the impact from the wreck twisted the passenger side axle which in turn bent the crossmember where it attaches. It didn't bend it to bad and I was wondering if I could heat the crossmember and use a port-a-power to bring it back to orginal position? I was going to get an angle finder from Sears and use the Bronco II to get the correct angle. Anybody thing this would weaken the crossmember?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That cross member takes a huge load, I would buy another and replace it, if nothing else for peice of mind, I would hate to be out wheeling and have that part tear loose.

Have you taken a good look at this crossmember? There is alot of rivits that will have to be drilled out and what would I replace them with? Grade 8 bolts? The mounting point for the TTB is only bend out maybe 20 degrees, so it's not like I'll be bending the stuffing out of it. I'm looking to fix it the best I can for the least amount of money. This truck will not be wheeled as that is what I'm going to use the Bronco for.

It's your choice, if only a minor bend, then I would heat it, and bend back you should be able to eye ball that. Measure from a center point of truck about mid ways back to the straight side, then bend the bad side out to meet it. As far as rivets, a 4 inch grinder from sears will eat those rivets up quick.

Thank you for your replys. I will bend it and keep and eye on it for furture problems. If I notice it starting to bend again I will head down to Sears and get my hand on a grinder and take care of it. Thanks again.

Good luck, and watch for the gap where the axle pivots, so it does not bind. Let us know how you make out.

definantly replace the crossmember. If you where to heat it up and bend it back youd most likely get cracks in it.

Back