Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
• 295 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
• 425 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
• 850 watts x 1 in bridged mode

When you see an amp say something like this up above what exactly do they mean by that? For example. Does 295 Watts X 2 at 4 ohms mean that 295 watts is applied to EACH ONE of 2 12s? Or does that mean 295 x's 2 = almost 600 watts applied to each? I don't know. So many damn numbers for us folks who don't know a whole lot but LOVE our car audio. I have a Kicker 15 inch L7 and basically wanted to know if this amp would be more than enough for that sub by itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it would mean 295 to each sub

LCPL DOZIER said:
it would mean 295 to each sub

Meaning if I ran the 1 15 L7 Kicker
• 850 watts x 1 in bridged mode
This would mean it would supply 850 to the one woofer meaning
it should be MORE than enough for that sub right?

thanks for the help on this. ;)

and I'm still not sure which is best to use when it comes to 2 ohm, 4 ohm etc. I found out what it means (kinda sorta) but I don't know which would be considered better, or which would be better for which kind of setup etc?

that depends on the subs. for instance my truck: a 10" L7 that has dual 2ohm voice coils. i wired the sub in series to equal 4ohms. go to the following link and play with the numbers a bit to get a better understanding of ohm loads
clcik here for the12volt.com

850 x 1 in bridged mode" doesn't quite tell us enough.

Like kelly said, we need to know what kind of sub you have. You could have a kicker dual voice coil 2 ohms each or a 2 ohm sub. Theoretically everytime you half the ohms you double your power. Examples 100 x 4ohm 200 x 2ohms and 400 x 1ohms. So if you hook up a 2 ohm sub you'll get 200 watts rms, but if you hookup a 1ohm stable sub then you'll get 400 watts rms. You must have a nice amp because alot of them are'nt 1ohm stable. Another thing is that if you run this sub at 1 ohm it will be hotter than at 2 ohms, and 2 ohms will be hotter than 4 ohms, just make sure if you actually have a 1ohm sub that you have adequate space for the amp to breath.

jeff96 said:
Like kelly said, we need to know what kind of sub you have. You could have a kicker dual voice coil 2 ohms each or a 2 ohm sub. Theoretically everytime you half the ohms you double your power. Examples 100 x 4ohm 200 x 2ohms and 400 x 1ohms. So if you hook up a 2 ohm sub you'll get 200 watts rms, but if you hookup a 1ohm stable sub then you'll get 400 watts rms. You must have a nice amp because alot of them are'nt 1ohm stable. Another thing is that if you run this sub at 1 ohm it will be hotter than at 2 ohms, and 2 ohms will be hotter than 4 ohms, just make sure if you actually have a 1ohm sub that you have adequate space for the amp to breath.

I don't have the KICKER YET.
I'm trying to decide if I should get the DUAL 4 OHM for the L7 Kicker
or the DUAL 2 OHM for the L7 Kicker.

Here are the two - they only vary about 10-15 dollars in price.
I'm just trying to find out the difference and what it means between
"dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm"

http://acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=185
http://acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=186

and if it makes a difference
HERE is the AMP I plan to use
http://acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=225

jeff96 said:

Thanks for the help Jeff :thumbsup: Let me know if this AMP would be good for a DUAL 2 OHM 15 inch L7 Kicker.
http://acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=225

That's what I planned on using for the Kicker 15. I'm picking up the amp today for only 200 (know a guy selling it for REAL CHEAP) and then I'll get the Kicker 15 online but I'm not sure if I want the DUAL 4 or DUAL 2

if you get a dvc 4ohm make sure your amp is 2 ohm mono stable... if you get a dvc 2 ohm make sure your amp is 1 ohm mono stable

FexplorerV8 said:
dual 4 its better, depending on wiring u will either get 4ohms or 8ohms
if you go with the dual 2ohms you would get either 1ohm or 4ohms and it wont be as loud as the dual 4ohm.

THIS IS THE MOST RETARDED STATEMENT EVER!

The pictures I'm posting are all you need to know besides what your amp is capable of. I think that amp that you have(kicker KX1200.1) is a 2 ohm amp. Which means the final load that goes to the amp has to be 2 Ohms. 1 Ohm will not work.

Single Sub Setups:

1_2ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

1_4ohmDVC_8ohm.gif

Now on to 2 sub setups:

2_4ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

2_4ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

2_2ohmDVC_05ohm.gif

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

2_2ohmDVC_8ohm.gif

what he said ^^^

The KX850.2 is 4-ohm stable in bridged mode.

google.gif
is your friend.

You might as well talked calculus with a 1st grader. I have no clue what those pictures are supposed to mean in ANY WAY.

toypaseo said:
The KX850.2 is 4-ohm stable in bridged mode.

google.gif
is your friend.

thanks bud - and that's the amp im getting
that would be hooked into bridged mode only using the one kicker 15 I have right? meaning 850 would go to it constantly?

That amp is perfect for a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub (each coil is two ohms). You'll just run one channell to one coil and the other channell to the other coil. Your amp will run alot cooler than at the 1 ohm, and you'll be 310 watts over the 4 ohm setup. Might want to check and make sure those power rating are rms though as they don't say, but since its kicker that sounds right for the rms. Your going to have one pounding system :) Oh and make sure your sub can handle that much power!

Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 850W x 1 @ 14.4V

but with voltage drops and such your looking @ about 12V at idle and say around 13 cruising. rough guestimate though

13 or 14 either way this setup will put out some pumping bass!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes and no. If he buys a prefab box I got a buddy with a few 10s that would distroy pretty much any system in a prefab box. Put it in a custom box made for those subs and what your wanting out of your system though and I will congradulate you.

Back