Question about OHM loads and what does it mean?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about OHM loads and what does it mean??

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I love music, that's for sure. But what does ohms mean to someone who knows what quality sounds like, but doesn't know why? For example, I have 2 Boston Subs, they are 2ohm subs. I have 2 Alpine MRD-500 Amps. My intentions are to hook up 1 amp to 1 sub directly. These amps by the way are mono amps. Now when I look at the spec sheet, it tells me 3 major things;
1) MAX Power (at 14.4V,EIAJ)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 900Wx1
2) RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
Per Channel into 2ohms : 400Wx1
Per Channel into 4ohms : 200Wx1
3) RMS Power (at 14.4V, 20Hz-200Hz)
Per Channel into 2ohms : 500Wx1
Per Channel into 4ohms : 250Wx1
Exactly what does this mean in layman's terms? Also what would be the difference in sounds if I had a set-up with the 2ohm sub and pulled that sub and put in a 4ohm sub, changing absolutely nothing else!!

Thanks, but I want to learn and know this.:monkey:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Max power is what the amp can produce for a very short time - Your engine can do 5000 rpm but not for long. This is mostly garbage but sony and some other companies like to print this on their amps to look cool.

RMS power stands for Regulated means squared but is really continious power, your amp can do this all day long, same as driving at 2000 rpm.

14.4 V is about what you should have coming off the alternator

12.5 volts is what you have running off battery.

20Hz-200Hz - this is the range that the amp is designed to run in, humans can hear from 20-20,000 Hz and under 200 Hz is bass.

The difference between running at 4 ohms vs 2 ohms is that the sub will be getting more power and will be louder at 2 ohms. Check the sub specs to see what they can handle.

Check the sub specs to see what they can handle.

OK, here is off the Manufactuer's web site for that sub.
12.5LF ProSeries Sub
Size - 12"/30cm
Nominal Imp 2ohm/4ohm I have 2ohms
Recommended Amp Power - 50-1200 watts
Recommended Enclosure Volume - 1ft/3 (28 liters)
Now that doesn't tell us a thing. What do I need to find out?

I am running 1 Boston Pro 10.5, 2 Ohm sub. The amp pushing it is the Alpine MRD-300. My 10" is underpowered with my 300 watts, your 12s will love the 500 each.:D

1000 watts to the Boston Pros will be quite loud.:eek:

1000 watts to the Boston Pros will be quite loud. You mean this how? Like connecting both amps to push both subs as 1 or just a figure of speech for (2) 500 amps to each sub? ;-) Either way, it will be a nice, clear, stable kind of bumb. Heyy??

Also tedrocket, I didn't know you had this type of setup? Alpine amp pushing Boston sub.

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
You mean this how?

1000watts total - 500 to each sub

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs

Also tedrocket, I didn't know you had this type of setup? Alpine amp pushing Boston sub.

Yup, sounds great.

Back