• Register Today It's free!

Question for all you smarties :)

StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
So, I want to put a light bar on my brush bar. I get the wiring part. But my main concern is the switch to turn it on/off. I want to keep my explorer looking as stock as possible. If I can get my hands on a set of switches (the ones that sit to the left of the traction control switch). Think it would be possible to wire the light bar to one of them?

2006 Ford Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do it that way or wire in a relay so it simply goes on with the high-beams or fog lights.

Just get a normal switch but make sure it has a square stopping plate. 3 prong switch is all you need. Power load and ground. Power is from the battery , load is the positive wire from the light bar, and ground the switch and the light bar out and your done.

Just get a normal switch but make sure it has a square stopping plate. 3 prong switch is all you need. Power load and ground. Power is from the battery , load is the positive wire from the light bar, and ground the switch and the light bar out and your done.

No, you really should use a relay. It will work without one, but its like not adding fuses to your add-ons, you're just asking for trouble. Most switches are only rated for about 5 amps, which is way less than most bigger bars use. Best case scenario, the switch welds itself "open" turning the light on, and draining your battery. Worst case, switch melts, catches fire and your X is gone. I picked up a pack of 5 relays with harnesses online for about $10, and it takes an extra minute or two to wire them up vs using a switch alone.

Plus with a relay taking the whole load, you can use any tiny switch you want, including what OP is trying to do. You would have to find the pin diagrams of those switches, as they have numerous wires, but find a positive output when the switch is on, and connect it to your relay trigger, and it'll work.

I personally would go the route USMC suggested, then you wont be adding ANY switches. I have LED rockers for my light bars, but I plan on having a switch that will enable them to come on with my brights. (One switch would activate all the lights to come on when I turn on my brights, then turn the switch back off and control them individually with the switches)

+1 on the relay install. Not that hard to do and much safer. I'm no electrician and wired in a relay and a set of dual 130w KC Hilites in an afternoon.

Back