Question relating with Mufflers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question relating with Mufflers

V8Limited

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited
I have a question hopefully you guys can answer. I am not experienced with any sort of muffler or exhaust type stuff at all. When you take your car to a shop to cut off the stock muffler and put on the aftermarket muffler, do they get rid of the stock pipe or do they weld it back on? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They use the stock pipe. They just cut your old muffler off and put the new one in its place. What are you going with?

My shop took off everything from the cats back, put the new muffler in, and custom made a new tailpipe. They even welded a crome tip on it. I think most shops can do it but it is alot more expensive then just swaping out the muffler.

Ah, thanks. I'm going with the Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. I just gotta wait a bit more and then I'm gonna order it and take it to a shop. Any muffler tips you guys recommend? I was looking at Magnaflow because I can get them for a good deal on cardomain.com and there good quality.

Ah, thanks. I'm going with the Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. I just gotta wait a bit more and then I'm gonna order it and take it to a shop. Any muffler tips you guys recommend? I was looking at Magnaflow because I can get them for a good deal on cardomain.com and there good quality.

yea use ur stock pipe and cut the pipe where it makes the turn to go straight back and weld a tip there... i put a magnaflow comming out the back diagonally... sounds great and looks good.. make sure u get the offset inlet and the center outlet... if u get a center inlet it mite be rite against ur frame

flowmaster delta 40....
2456765_31_full.jpg

magnaflow 3'' rolled chrome tip..... i did one weld on top and one on the bottom... this is up close
2456765_32_full.jpg

whole muffler
2456765_34_full.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. bigapple, which magnaflow tip did u wind up buying? Im debating the 15 degree slash cut or the 45 degree slash cut.

Thanks for the help guys. bigapple, which magnaflow tip did u wind up buying? Im debating the 15 degree slash cut or the 45 degree slash cut.

15... 45 would be nice but supposedly the rolled edges on the 15 tips help them to last longer... it looks pretty sweet and if u want more pics to finalize ur decision i could probably have that arranged

If you could give me more pics that'd be great. Thanks for the help man. I think I know what I'm gonna get now.

^ That's the one I plan on getting too. I just can't decide if I want it to be 3" or 4" tip.

Heres how I did Mine its dual 40 series with turndowns, I thought about running dual exhaust out but I didnt want to brake all that bread...

She Sounds like an offroader haha

flowsonmount2.jpg

Just be warned if you go with a Flowmaster 40 series it will be LOUD and the drone will drive you nuts.

I decided to go with the 50 series SUV performance one, we'll see how that goes. My friend has true duals on his Excursion with 40 series on both sides and it's pretty dang loud...I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I put the 40 series on mine and I love the sound. They say it is really loud in the back seat though LOL!

If you could give me more pics that'd be great. Thanks for the help man. I think I know what I'm gonna get now.

the one aero has is pretty much my exact one... if thats a 3'' its exactly mine... i suggest a 3 1/2 or 4 cuz it could be bigger

the one aero has is pretty much my exact one... if thats a 3'' its exactly mine... i suggest a 3 1/2 or 4 cuz it could be bigger

Yeah the one I got was the 3" tip, I thought it would look big enough but ah well, I'll be happy regardless

One last question for you all. I'm taking bigapple's advice and cutting the stock pipe where it goes straight back, and getting an 18" (length) 4" diameter chrome tip from magnaflow. The question is, 18" seems kind of long to me, will it stick out a lot from the rear bumper? I just measured it on my car and it was in an OK position, but isn't the flowmaster muffler longer/bigger than the stock? Making the stock pipe go even further down? Thanks for your help.

The 40-series flowmasters should be smaller than the stock muffler. The stocker is pretty big on an explorer and most aftermarket mufflers are smaller or about the same size as the average OEM muffler.
Not to mention that it won't change the length of the tailpipe anyways, if one muffler is longer or shorter, they will either cut more pipe out or add more if they have to.

One last question for you all. I'm taking bigapple's advice and cutting the stock pipe where it goes straight back, and getting an 18" (length) 4" diameter chrome tip from magnaflow. The question is, 18" seems kind of long to me, will it stick out a lot from the rear bumper? I just measured it on my car and it was in an OK position, but isn't the flowmaster muffler longer/bigger than the stock? Making the stock pipe go even further down? Thanks for your help.

yea man keep it diagonal and i believe that should be nicely sized... the stock muffler is about half a foot longer than the flowmaster so ur gunna need some extra piping... if u have it done at a muffler shop they will be able to use some left over piping and weld that in place... good luck to ya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8 Magnaflow Muffler Part#

Please delete.

Back