Questions about combining two Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about combining two Explorers

mrnapolean1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
OK Lets try this again.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and I recently picked up a 2000 Explorer with a bad motor.

1. The main thing I want to do is I want to install the entire back door onto my 97. Is this possible?

2. I also want to put the 2000s steering wheel on mine because the one in mine the cruse buttons are all broken and missing. Once again is this possible?

EDIT: Added pictures:
The white one is the parts car.
20160306_155942.jpg

20160306_160000.jpg

97 Steering wheel:
20160306_171244.jpg

2000 Steering wheel: (I want to go to this one)
20160307_093838.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The back lights are a slight different shape aren't they? You are meaning the liftgate when you say "back door"? They are different around the rear lights is the first thing you notice. The wiring looms are probably going to be different with the steering wheels, I know there are quite a few differences with the wiring between a '96 model and a 2000 one, just check the wiring connectors before dismantling

i wouldn't mind having those window visors to put on my 98 if your willing to part with them. Im located in Texas as well

The back lights are a slight different shape aren't they? You are meaning the liftgate when you say "back door"? They are different around the rear lights is the first thing you notice. The wiring looms are probably going to be different with the steering wheels, I know there are quite a few differences with the wiring between a '96 model and a 2000 one, just check the wiring connectors before dismantling

Liftgate Yes. I don't care too much for the twist handle that is on my old one.
I am going to see if I can use my old taillights because the passenger lens has a crack that wont pass Texas State inspection.

I know on the lift gate/back door I will have to reroute my License plate wiring to the lights in the door instead of the bumper.

And about the steering wheel I know none of the radio controls isn't going to work but I was just wondering if the cruse controls on the 2000s wheel will plug directly into the 97s wiring harness?

i wouldn't mind having those window visors to put on my 98 if your willing to part with them. Im located in Texas as well

A Couple of them have some cracks in them. I was planning on getting some super glue and gluing them back together.

Hmm, so it would seem to work if you swap the rear lights. Still can't find any info to help myself swapping a '98 liftgate onto a 2000 though. Sure they fit the same, but how the hell do you disconnect the wiring harness?

You have to take the door trim out.

Yes, I have. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the wiring at the top of the liftgate. There is no connector. You seem to have to disconnect each component and then pull the whole lot up through the top which will be a nightmare to get back through on the install...or cut the wires and after do a solder/heatshrink job. It's just insane that there is no connector

Yes, I have. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the wiring at the top of the liftgate. There is no connector. You seem to have to disconnect each component and then pull the whole lot up through the top which will be a nightmare to get back through on the install...or cut the wires and after do a solder/heatshrink job. It's just insane that there is no connector

The connector is inside the vehicles roof. You have to remove the headliner in the back to access. To remove the boot (where the wires pass thru) you need a 8mm (I think) socket and ratchet.

Back