Questions about rotors + brake pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about rotors + brake pads

Con Seann3ry

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Last night my break pad just kinda chunked apart and fell off then off course my rotor got kinda groovy (pun intended) on the way back home...so I have a couple of questions. First off all, what break pads should I get, I don't want ones that just fall apart like that again, my dad said this is like the 3rd time that's happened on the X (he was previous owner). I am also wondering what the best course of action for the rotor is...resurfaced (it's not too bad, but i definately just can't put some pads back on and call it good) or should I buy a new rotor or used rotor...and what prices should I expect for each of these options. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same Issue with my '92. Happened 3 times. Went to Autozone and purchased their carbon metallic pads and have had no more problems.

$50.00 a piece for rotor/hub assembly(new)
$43.00 for carbon metallic lifetime warrenty pads
$12.00 each for calipers (remanufactured)
$9.50 for guide pins both sides

Dont forget bearings, synthetic bearing grease, silicone caliper grease, brake fluid, brake parts cleaner, anti-squeal for the back of the pad, and a friend to help you bleed the brakes.

(Got this info from autozone.com)This is for your '94 explorer.

Awesome, thank you for all that info. Also, only one rotor is ruined, do I have to replace them both anyways?

nope - you dont need to replace both sides if only one pad was ruined, however you do need to replace the pads on both sides(obviously) at napa, a new rotor is like $40-$50, caliper is 18, but it comes with new slide pins. i try to stay away from autozone - I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. be sure to get a lot of new brake fluid, as you will lose some when you change the caliper. good luck. any other questions, feel free to ask. I just redid my front wheels and I learned A LOT from it.

okay first of all if your pads are falling apart i would not buy that brand of pads again.... buy a good set of pads and decide whether your going to get resurfaced rotor or new one.... my own personal rule of brakes is whatever you do to one side of the vehicle you do to the other.... brakes are one thing you dont want to cut corners on or to be different on different wheels.... If its only the pads that are bad and one rotor... i would buy new pads and rotors... put them on and bleed the brake system to get new fluid in there.... no reason to replace calipers unless you feel the need or one of them is sticking.... and they are relatively cheap....

any of you know about how much it costs for resurfacing?

resurfacing probably be a little different everywhere.I can get 2 rotors resurfaced for less than $20 but may be more or less around you

ive seen it range from 6-8 bucks per side of rotor... so that makes it from 12-16 bucks per rotor.... i would much rather spend a little more and get new rotors... cause once you grind them down they are thinner dont take the heat as well and wear out alot quicker in my experience.

Be careful with the use of the carbon or ceramic pads. They can leave a deposition on the rotor that mimics warpage. This is one of the higher warranty claim problems Ford has. Also, regardless of what pads are used be sure and lube any slider pins every 7500 miles or so. Sticking caliper slides is another high warranty claim issue for Ford

Back