Questions before I buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions before I buy

Texas120

Reaction score
So I'm looking to replace the Honda Odyssey we've had for the last 10 years. I really thought we'd go with a Honda Pilot, because we haven't had a single problem with the Odyssey in the last 200,000 miles. But, I like the Explorer better... It's been a while since we bought a new car, and I just want to see if I can get a little more comfortable before we commit. I'm hoping for a little feedback from the experts here.

- How many miles/years have you been able to log with your Explorer - and with what problems?
- Think I'm going to have to order to get what I want. Is the 6 to 8 week window to get an order pretty accurate? Here's what I think we're going with
Limited w/301A package
Probably black with stone interior
2nd row bucket seats
2nd row console
20" polished wheels
BLIS
- Dealer is quoting me a price that is $500 over A-plan ($40,029), less any rebates at the time the vehicle arrives. Good? Or more wiggle room?
- I've seen the notes on the Private Cash offers and the online warranty. (Dealer, of course, seems to prefer the MPP warranty.) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 25k miles on my 2011 explorer limited. It has every opetion excluding the tow package. These are the problems I have had thus far;
-carpet wasn't allowing third row to fold
-front axle had to be lubricated [was making "ting=pop" noise]
-second row seat was not reclining
-A pillar rattle at highway speeds
-front brakes make a grinding/grunt sound [has not been fixed yet]
-MFT has started crashing after the latest update. Usually only happens after a phone call.

Other then those problems I really do enjoy driving my explorer [not being sarcastic]. If you are someone who hates "little" problems or are a perfectionist when it comes to car the explorer might not be the ride for you.

I think some people are having troubles with the stone interior on this forum... might be worth checking out before you make up your mind

So I'm looking to replace the Honda Odyssey we've had for the last 10 years. I really thought we'd go with a Honda Pilot, because we haven't had a single problem with the Odyssey in the last 200,000 miles. But, I like the Explorer better... It's been a while since we bought a new car, and I just want to see if I can get a little more comfortable before we commit. I'm hoping for a little feedback from the experts here.

- How many miles/years have you been able to log with your Explorer - and with what problems?
- Think I'm going to have to order to get what I want. Is the 6 to 8 week window to get an order pretty accurate? Here's what I think we're going with
Limited w/301A package
2nd row bucket seats
2nd row console
20" polished wheels
BLIS
- Dealer is quoting me a price that is $500 over A-plan ($40,029), less any rebates at the time the vehicle arrives. Good? Or more wiggle room?
- I've seen the notes on the Private Cash offers and the online warranty. (Dealer, of course, seems to prefer the MPP warranty.) Anything else I'm missing?

We just got the 2013 Sport with 402a, adaptive cruise, moonroof and tow package. Love it so far. great engine, great features! we placed the order in late November, had a build date of 1/8 (delay of 2 weeks becasue factory shuts down for Christmas and New years), and it arrived at dealership on 1/17.

Buy the Honda or anything else but the Explorer. We have a 2013, XLT, EcoBoost, which has been nothing but a headache.......terrible workmanship, terrible quality control...terrible gas mileage............best regards Plum

Limited w/301A package
2nd row bucket seats
2nd row console
20" polished wheels
BLIS

I have had mine almost 2years but have only put about 8000 miles on it. The only problems I have had are a bad right front sensor which wouldn't allow the Park Assist tp work. Replaced under warranty. The other issue which was addressed under a TSB was the random/uncommanded windshield wipe. This has returned intermittantly since the 3.3.2 version upgrade and is still there but not really an issue. If it gets more frequent I will go back to the dealer again. I have also noted lately that the 3rd row seats and sort of 'out of sync' and one doesn't always go to the proper position. Since I never use them I'll have the dealer check this out next time I'm there. I doubt it is because they aren't used.
I have the light stone interior and have had zero problems with it. I chose the white tri-coat because it stays cleaner looking longer and is cooler in the summer. The dual panel moonroof really seems to add an open feeling to the interior and the Adaptive Cruise Control is my favourite feature.
Happy shopping.

Peter

I know that you want to hear about the Explorer, but don't overlook the Flex. I have driven both 2013 models (Explorer and Flex) on the lot and I actually prefer the Flex especially considering that it comes with the ecoboost and AWD and I like the styling better.

Back