Questions before I TRY to pull the engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions before I TRY to pull the engine

wr2001

Reaction score
City, State
Pomona ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 limited
I changed out the oil pressure sensor two weeks ago because the gauge was not working. Luckily pressure returned and everything was back to normal. I only drive my 93 Limited 2wd 12 miles a day or 15 max with store trips.
This past weekend I drove more than usual and noticed that every time i was idling at an intersection the oil pressure gauge would drop all the way down and just dance around. Once i accelerated or took off the gauge would return to normal. I'm guessing i have to change the oil pump??? But the car is overheating as well?!!!
It seems the axle is in the way, is it necessary to pull the engine? I really dont want to, but is the oil pump the only thing to change out? I really dont want to mess with the block. or rebuilding it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no other symptoms. no noises, no banging nothing. oil level is ok.

I'd do an oil and filter change, and get a diagnostic gauge on the oil pressure port. And really, before that, I'd try to get a handle on the overheating.

Overheating is going to result in low oil pressures. Overheating can be air in the system, bad fan clutch, bad thermostat, etc...

That switch trips on at roughly 7.5 psi. If it is dropping then there is a good chance you have no oil pressure. Put a mechanical gauge on to verify. You can rent one at autozone.

Another question. How fast is the cooling fan supposed to be spinning and cooling? It seems to be too slow, maybe the clutch is out? As far as oil pump i think im just gonna have to change it, just need to decide if ill try or take it to shop.

Low oil pressure and overheating...how many miles do u have on it and what engine do u have...i was having similar issues back in october with my truck...turns out i had a blown head gasket...that will cause both of these symptoms...if it is sucking in air through the head gasket that would be your overheating problem...its not letting ur coolant flow through the heads which is causing it to not flow through the rest of ur engine it would also cause low oil pressure...it would be loosing compression because it would all leak through the blown head gasket...do a compression test on every cylinder...if one is low then that is where the head gasket is blown at...also if ur oil looks milky, oil in ur antifreeze or if ur exhaust smells kinda sweet or like antifreeze its a sure sign of a blown head gasket.

Back