Questions before I try installing JD lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions before I try installing JD lift

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
Im planning on installing my James Duff 2.5" lift towards the end of the month and I want to make sure I do everything right.......I was wondering, while I have the suspension apart what bushings should I replace? (radius arm, axle pivot, shackle bushings, etc.)

What should I do about the nuts and stuff on the lift....use locktite on them?

Also any tips or recommendations for installing this lift would be a great help. Thanks.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't use the nuts provided in the kit on mine. My dad gets grade 8 stuff for nothing so I replaced it all with that. This isn't to say you need to though, I would just rather have stronger hardware. I just replaced the axle pivot and radius arm bushings when I did mine. I gues I could have done the rear but that is rather simple and I can do it anytime. As far as tips or reccomendations go, just take your time and enjoy doing it. I had no problems doing mine. Just ask if you encounter any difficulties. I'll be glad to help.

I appreciate it. I sure will. The only problem Im facing right now is that I dont have the original JD radius arm drop brackets.....so Im trying to use a set of Rancho extended radius arms and brackets, but Im not sure how to line them up....I would love to find a set of the original JD drop brackets....do they look complicated to make? Thanks.:D

MY JD lift is going on next weekend - I have all the brackets but don't have the coil bucket that Duff supplied with the original kit. Is this going to screw things up? Also, I'm going to have 2 people helping me, and we're all mechanically inclined, how long can we plan on this taking? All the rivets on the R.A. brackets have already been replaced when I changed the RA bushings. I'm guessing a whole day? Any other helpful tips would be good too. I've read all the installation write-ups multiple times.

As for making drop brackets, I think it would be pretty difficult - but I'm not a professional welder either. Have you contacted JD?

I contacted JD and they want a reciept before they will let me buy just the radius arm drop brackets...so im still looking for someone that has moved to extended radius arms and would be willing to sell these. Thanks.

Brandon, I'm going to pick up a JD kit in a couple weeks and install soon there after. Could you give me a heads up for any trouble spots or the things you "wish you would have known." I've also been reviewing, but I'm new here so I'm still reading. Yes, I've started with penetrating oil, and prayers :)

Also, I love your quote Kyle-plenty of people having a tough time out there :confused:

Back