Quick cheap Vacuum leak / smoker tester | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick cheap Vacuum leak / smoker tester

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
We've all seen some home made ones on youtube.... never saw this one until last night... works great! Already had $9 siphon / pump.... just bought cheap cigar ....Arco has 3 cigars for a $1...
As illustrated got old style basic rounded pen for coupler..... wrapped few layers of electrical tape for snug fit. Cut plastic "mouthpiece" of cigar at angles to fit in tube and taped for good sealing.

SMOKER1.jpg

SMOKER2.jpg

CIGAR VAC.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently did something like this
Great job

I was going to post that life is too short for cheap cigars, then saw the last picture.

Good idea, but... Did you find a leak?

I like the clear hose to see the smoke. Other variants of this pump sold at Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc (including mine) have an opaque red hose so you can't see smoke or liquids in it.

That last pic is pretty funny but probably a good idea to keep the cigar at a distance to give the smoke a little time to cool down before it reaches the seal in the pump.

Good idea, but... Did you find a leak?

I like the clear hose to see the smoke. Other variants of this pump sold at Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc (including mine) have an opaque red hose so you can't see smoke or liquids in it.

That last pic is pretty funny but probably a good idea to keep the cigar at a distance to give the smoke a little time to cool down before it reaches the seal in the pump.
Thanks.... no leak found....but at least I have ruled out a vacuum leak on my efforst to resolve "final gremlin" ... codes resolved fuel pressure test next... (once I replace striped schrader valve....doh!)

Now that's a smokin' machine!

^ Does seem sort of expensive for not having an air pump built in... I mean relative to build cost, not so much cost of mechanics tools.
Not sure if this qualifies as "cheap" but this was a Christmas present to myself year. It's pretty sweet, I wish I had bought it sooner. Successfully ratted out an exhaust leak.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVT1NG2/?tag=serious-20
I'd call it cheap (for what it is) if it included an air pump built-in, but needing a separate compressor, makes it next level in total cost. I do have a compressor, but then it's just a little metal tank with a couple nipples and a low wattage heating element in it. I "imagine" you could just about make something similar out of an electric tea kettle, but of course the trial and error would be a lot of time that's worth something. The time spent to replicate that would be more valuable than its cost.

^ Does seem sort of expensive for not having an air pump built in... I mean relative to build cost, not so much cost of mechanics tools.

I'd call it cheap (for what it is) if it included an air pump built-in, but needing a separate compressor, makes it next level in total cost. I do have a compressor, but then it's just a little metal tank with a couple nipples and a low wattage heating element in it. I "imagine" you could just about make something similar out of an electric tea kettle, but of course the trial and error would be a lot of time that's worth something. The time spent to replicate that would be more valuable than its cost.

I'm sure you could make it cheaper, but it's a sturdy USA-made tool. I think it's money well spent. IMO

Back