• Register Today It's free!

quick fan question

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
I need to change the plastic fan that cools the radiator.. Just the fan, The clutch is fine, Do I need the fan clutch tool just to change the fan blade? I hate to tear it down and need the tool.. its looks as though, I gotta pull the radiator to free up some room

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you do need to remove the fan clutch. If memory serves, the fan bolts to the back side of the clutch. While I expect you could remove the bolts, there would be no way to actually remove the fan over the water pump/engine.

alright thanks guys, good to know before I tore into tomorrow... I will pick up the tool this weekend

I swear man my luck is BAD!! I just moved my truck into the shop and getting ready to replace my fan blade.. The NEW fan I bought a few weeks ago is ALREADY starting to crack in the same places my old one is and its NEVER been run.... I'm pretty sure I don't have the receipt to exchange it.. I guess I will put it on and figure doing it again in the future. Mine is cracked BAD its too the point I'm getting scared its gonna throw a piece through the radiator.. Why do the make these fans so CHEAP? Are there better one?.. I think this one was a dorrman part number

That's pretty easy, buy another of the same fans from the same place, (keep the receipt this time, and inspect the fan for cracks before leaving the store) then use the receipt to return the replacement cracked fan, and keep the one that hopefully isn't cracked.

How'd the fix go?

I'm curious to know if there is a metal fan replacement.

I put the new crack one on.... I had to have my truck tomorrow and mine was fixing to break...I bought the 20 dollar tool and it was simple.. I pulled the radiator.. I needed the room . I got big arms and hands..

about the metal fan replacement, I dunno but I'm gonna look around because like I said earlier, I'm going have to this again in future

Back