Permacool Fan question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Permacool Fan question

My fan has straight blades and its a Black magic 150? (not the cheap kind)

I'd say that all of the fans with modern fan blades will be rather quiet. Look closely and you will notice that all old fans, and cheap aftermarket fans, all have straight flat blades. Those pull less air, and they are much louder.

With a progressive controller, the fan will very rarely if ever see full speed/amperage. I drive about 29 miles per day over almost three hours, that is a lot of low speed driving. I can hear my fan when I try to, but it always sounds like it is just barely running, shutting off or turning on. It has never been loud, and my highest temperature ever is about 207 degrees(6000 miles).

The factory fans will probably be more than enough from the fans you see on eBay from the Taurus, Mustang etc. The real big issue for all of them will be the mounting depth. Measure very carefully before beginning, few fans will fit the available few inches. Good luck,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the original BM 150, still new in the box. I knew that it was louder than the new type fans, so I chose to not use it for my truck.

I just remembered a VERY VERY important tid bit of information. A regular Taurus fan will not fit. The dual fan setup from a SHO will fit, the regular Tarus fan is too thick on the motor to fit between water pump and rad. You will have to cut the nub off the water pump that is there for the stock belt driven fan. I learned the hard way, I think the motor is an 1/8 of an inch too thick.

I was asking about that, recall. How much of the Taurus fan did you cut away, from the front blades to the motor backing?

The motor itself is too large. The shaft on the front you can't really trim down, you can't trim down the rear of the motor either. There is a nub on the back you could attempt to cut off but I doubt it would give you the needed clearance and then you have a hole in the back of your fan motor. I just took pictures of my setup FINALLY and will post some pictures as soon as the camera and my computer cooperate.

Okay, that was what I was afraid of. An SHO isn't a really common wreck to find, but the real key is whether the motor is available quickly.

The way the whole fan setup sits in there the motor is off set so if it did crap out I could grab a similar motor and redneck rig that in there. The setup is.... I dunno it works, get's the job done, but it ain't pretty.....

DSC00734.jpg

When it isn't hot I'm gonna take it out and really get some good pictures

Back