• Register Today It's free!

Quick overheating question

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
To diagnose either thermostat failure or water pump failure can I just remove thermostat and run and if it heats up above operating temp then it's pump and if it takes forever to get up to temp then thermostat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your stat and put it in a pan of water on the stove and crank up the heat and see if it opens when water starts to boil. I do this with brand new thermostats as I've had a couple of bad ones over the years.

if you're going to go through all that trouble, why not just install a new thermostat?

if you're going to go through all that trouble, why not just install a new thermostat?

because since he does it with new ones he would have to do it either way lol

but anyway it is safe to run without t stat briefly? no different than having a fail safe one that is supposed to fail open..

i had a coolant leak from my water pump so i replaced pump, all hoses, clamps (with easier ones to get off) t stat and coolant... but after i put all the new stuff in, it over heated, but coolant was still full in radiator and in overfill so i assume either the water pump isnt pushing the coolant around or the tstat is blocking coolant flow.

Did you burp all the air out? Did you get a water pump that spins in the correct direction?

It is safe to run without a t-stat as long as you have a gasket in place, it just will take forever to reach operating temperature.

Whenever I install a T-stat, I push it open and stick an aspirin in the thermostat to hold it open. That way, when the coolant first starts circulating, it will bypass the T-stat until it (very quickly) dissolves the aspirin so there is no air trapped by it. The aspirin won't harm your engine either.

Also, the T-stat should start opening before the water reaches boiling. I seem to recall that you shouldn't put a t-stat in boiling water, since it is too hot and can ruin the thermostat. I test them that way too, but with a meat thermometer stuck in them them. If they don't start opening at the temp the box says, I throw them out.

Also, the T-stat should start opening before the water reaches boiling. I seem to recall that you shouldn't put a t-stat in boiling water, since it is too hot and can ruin the thermostat. I test them that way too, but with a meat thermometer stuck in them them. If they don't start opening at the temp the box says, I throw them out.

So you don't like your thermostats well done?

Did you burp all the air out? Did you get a water pump that spins in the correct direction?

It is safe to run without a t-stat as long as you have a gasket in place, it just will take forever to reach operating temperature.

Whenever I install a T-stat, I push it open and stick an aspirin in the thermostat to hold it open. That way, when the coolant first starts circulating, it will bypass the T-stat until it (very quickly) dissolves the aspirin so there is no air trapped by it. The aspirin won't harm your engine either.

yes i burped it... i recall you telling me the aspirin trick on another one of my threads... maybe its possible i put it in backwards now that i think about it. and about the water pump spinning the wrong way i have no idea.. i just bought one from rock auto brand gates GAW- 43068

Yeah, that water pump is right.

So you don't like your thermostats well done?

As with most things, I like them to be good and pink on the inside.:D

When you're testing the thermostat, open it a bit a poke a thread in there then suspenf the t stat in the water while it's heating.
When the tstat opens it will drop.

put it in the wrong way? the pointy end always faces away from the engine.

Back