• Register Today It's free!

Everett PHX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wetumpka, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2001 V6 explorer. I'm mid swap to a 5.0. I am about to buy a 2000 V8 explorer to use as a donor vehicle to finish the swap. From what I understand 99-01s are all the exact same engine wise. For example 98 fuel injectors won't work on a 2001 because the wiring harness plug changed. Is there anything I need to be aware of about 2000-2001? Or am I correct. I appreciate y'all and hopefully I'll have my ex back up and running soon with a little more power! :)

I don't own a '99 V8, but I do own three 2000 5.0's and a 2001 V8. I have not noticed any differences between the 2000 and 2001.

As long as you have a complete donor vehicle I think you should have everything you need to do the swap. Engine, trans, PCM, wiring, brackets exhaust system, radiator, A/C condenser. You may want to install the V8's rear diff as the V6's diff (while the same physically) may have a different gear ratio.

00-01 is the same AFAIK, same with 99-00, I'm looking at an 01 XLT to V8 swap and use my 99 V8 as a donor, so I've been looking at the better years to choose from

Back