Quick questions about replacing speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick questions about replacing speakers

Tbonejr

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello & Thanks for all the past help :)

I just installed a new head unit. I bypassed the factory amp and rewired all the door speakers to go straight from the HU to the speakers. The HU puts out a normal 40 watts of power to the speakers. The factory speakers sound ok, but not great. I really dont want to install another amp for the time being. When I look at the speakers for replacement I notice most have like a 250 or 300 watt max power. Would a set of high wattage speakers sound ok with only 40 - 50 watts going to them?? Or should I try to find some lower wattage speakers. I have a amp pushing a cpl 8" subs in the back that really sound great(but they kind of over power the front factory speakers) And one last stupid question - What exactly are Component speakers ?

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your head unit might say its 40watts but its probably only pushing 15-20watts rms. Just about any set of aftermarket speakers will be better over the stock ones.

When comparing speakers NEVER compare between the MAX wattage. You need to compare the RMS wattage.

You need to closely match the rms wattage between the amp and speakers.
If you buy an amp that is 75watts RMS per channel and you buy speakers that are only 45watts rms capable, you will probably blow those speakers when you crank up the volume.

Go to crutchfield.com and start comparing and reading reviews of the speakers. You dont need to spend alot of money if your gonna run the speakers off of the head unit.

I have Pioneer TS-D680R 6x8's in the front and rear. They are 60watts rms. They are being powered by an Alpine MRV-F450 that is 50watts rms per channel.

Component speakers are a seperate woofer and tweeter, and they come with a crossover unit that splits the signal. You have to mount the crossover unit somewhere inside your door panel, and mount the tweeters somewhere. They usually come with both flush mounts (use a hole saw in your door) or surface mounts (stick/screw on, but doesn't look as good). You end up with much better sound quality since you can aim the tweeter at the listeners. However I am told these types of speakers NEED an amp to sound good. If anyone can confirm or deny this I would like to hear..

Jason

You are correct on all counts. They do "need" an amp to sound good, as there RMS power can't be met by nearly any deck on the market. I have a set of Boston Acoustic plate component speakers in my front door running off of deck power, and they just aren't getting enough juice, so amping them is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. As far as the installation is concerened, u are totally correct.

Are you using the Boston SL80's? I was looking at those earlier tonight. It would be nice if my Panasonic with 60Wx4 (apparently 30W rms x 4) could power those adaquately.

Jason

Yes, I've got the SL80s in the front and S.... 85s I think in the back. They sound phenomenal, but u can just *tell* they need more. The guy who installed them even warned me against running them unamped for too long, as it can damage them just as much as too much power. Could've been a sales pitch, but I got that from the install guy...

I've got Rockford Fosgate components up front, with Fosgate 3-way coaxials in the back. I'll see if I can get the serial numbers, the speakers cost me 'bout $100-200, can't remember.

Back