Rack and pinion Steering on 1st gen X?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack and pinion Steering on 1st gen X??

iwannax

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Is there anyway to adapt a rack and pinion set-up off a later explorer onto a first gen explorer? I love the tight responsive steering of the newer vehicles compared to my boat! Even with all new components, nothing beats a newer rack and pinion system IMO.

Any ideas? I'm just thinking of crazy things cause i'm having cabin fever!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No - the pivot points of the rack and pinion system would not match the axle - and you would get improper 'toe' as the front suspension cycles. Also, that "boat" feeling is more dependent on other variables such as shock valving, anti-sway bar rates, unsprung-vs-sprung weight ratio, COG height, etc..

95-96 Ex's can be had cheap...maybe you want to consider buying one to have rack and pinion like a car.

There are MANY things that make a car handle better than your Explorer.

And likewise, there are MANY things that you can do to make your Explorer handle more like a car. Just keep in mind that the same upgrades can be done to a car, and it will make that same car handle better.

First and foremost, Replace every wear part in the front end. Ball joints, Tie-rods, and Radius Arm Bushings. Upgrade the Sway Bars. Explorer Express has their X-spec Sway Bars for the 1st Gen for just under $300. I just installed them, and I highly recommend them. Get some new Shocks in all 4 corners. I bought some Bilsteins last year. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Last but not least, replace the rubber swaybar link bushings with Energy Suspension's Polyurethane Bushings.

I have done all of the above, except the SwayBar Bushings. They are on a severe back order of 3 more weeks to go!...

Now my 19 year old Explorer handles better than any brand new Luxury SUV....Granted I have about $1,500 in my Suspension, and about another $1,000 in my Brake System.....but I also don't have the car payment that comes along with a new Luxury SUV!

Ryan

Yeah well thats what happens when you're stuck inside for so long, brain starts wondering. Now that its finally warm out i can do the regular wear-tear items.....anyting to get my hands dirty.

but as of now I have to fix an injector thats stuck open. exhaust smells like straight gas, they call these things exploders for a reason!

Actualy I was looking at this. I had a 3rd gen on the rack next to my 92. and from the looks of things, I don't think it would be that hard to do. Simply fab up some mounts on the engine cross member. your measuring will have to be dead on, but i think it will be easy.

With our stock suspension your tow changes as the suspension cycles. That's what causes the tires to wear more on the inside.

A rack and pinion would need to have it's pivot points in the same spot as the suspension arm...in our case, the I-beams. With the current design of the R&P set-up, it would be impossible to achieve this, as the pivot points are nearly 1/3 of the way down the opposite sides I-beam...meaning the pivot points won't allow for proper articulation of the tie-rods when the suspension travels.

Ryan

Back