RADAR DETECTORS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RADAR DETECTORS

I have used Bel detectors for years. Right now I have 2 855sti. All they have to do is "see" the radar before it sees you. Quarter mile of range really doesnt make much difference.
If you get hit with "instant on" or laser your toast no matter what kind you have.
Sadly a detector doesnt replace common sence and the more you speed the worse your odds.

Well I don't know whether radar detectors are usefull or not. But I just got my first ticket in 23 years. I was coming home from work last Friday night and cut through an industrial park complex that recently opened. There are two factories along this new road which is a mile long. No other driveways turnoffs or other traffic.

It was 6:10 PM and 200 yards from my city border I got stopped for going 37 mph. The road was new and no speed signs were posted. The prima facia speed limit is 25 mph on no posted roads in a "commercial zone".

So here's the deal. An unposted newly paved road with no traffic on it. Weather was clear, pavement was dry. Cop was sitting in some bushes 200 yards from the line of a neighboring city.

What do you call that? Traffic enforcement? Revenue enhancement? Or just plain old Cherry picking!

Fortunately the cop only wrote me for 5 over which is 0 points, but the fine is $70.

Can't help but think a radar detector might have saved my bacon in this circumstance.

Perfect exapmle.

That is why radar detectors are useful. For all those that say, "Well just drive the limit," this shows how a detector can work to your advantage. It's not so we can zoom along at 120 mph on the interstate. It's so we don't get caught by cops trying to meet quota.

Back