Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

I became a member of F150 forum and sent the video and info to a rep on their forum.

Also, yes, it is embarrasing....Several times I heard, "why a Ford?"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard something from the fan on shut down, but not nearly that high pitched, and assumed it was normal. I'm guessing it's not the same as others here.

I've heard something from the fan on shut down, but not nearly that high pitched, and assumed it was normal. I'm guessing it's not the same as others here.

Auto start and shut it down, while standing directly in front.
It will only get louder in time and likely to the point of seizing (as with any component involving bearings).

I got a call from the Regional rep. In summary, nothing can be done. Since ford Tech line says it is normal, then it is normal. He saw the video on YouTube and said "Wow, that's quite a noise"
Now I'm considering taking it to a different dealer.
I consider getting an aftermarket fan also if available.

I got a call from the Regional rep. In summary, nothing can be done. Since ford Tech line says it is normal, then it is normal. He saw the video on YouTube and said "Wow, that's quite a noise"
Now I'm considering taking it to a different dealer.
I consider getting an aftermarket fan also if available.
See what another dealer says about it first. Your vehicle is under a 3 year factory warranty so if it were me, I wouldn't change the fan with an aftermarket one. If the current one gets worse or stops working the warranty will cover any issues. If you install an aftermarket on then you are on your own if it breaks down and any damage resulting from that will also not be covered. Something to think about.

Peter

I'll go to another dealership. Everyone who has not hear it or have financial interest with FoMoCo say it is normal, but anyone who has heard it say it is not.

Another fan was installed. noise is gone.

If you don't hear back from me, then it is working with no issues.
1/26/16

UPDATE:
6 days since the fan was installed, it started to make the same bearing noise.

I have given up. Three fans, three issues.

UPDATE:
6 days since the fan was installed, it started to make the same bearing noise.

I have given up. Three fans, three issues.

Wow, sorry to hear about this on going issues which others seem to have. Hate to have the fans quit altogether leaving a overheated damaged engine. If it's happening across Fords different platforms, this should be considered as a TSB or recall I would think.

Wow, sorry to hear about this on going issues which others seem to have. Hate to have the fans quit altogether leaving a overheated damaged engine. If it's happening across Fords different platforms, this should be considered as a TSB or recall I would think.
I wonder if these fan units are the same as those used in previous model years? They replaced many units in the 2011 models due to fan noise and fans not cooling properly. A TSB was issued at that time. Perhaps, if enough 2016 owners have the same problem Ford will issue a new TSB. Recalls are only issued for 'Safety' related issues.

Peter

Mine has been making this noise since day one. Just found this thread today. At over 11,000 miles, it's still doing it. I need to have the dealership look at it one day this spring.

A lot of people just take it as normal.
Even Ford tech line says it is normal (but they never actually heard the noise)

It is not normal, and it is a defect. if you have it you should go to a dealership so Ford really looks into this.
To me, it is an issue with the supplier.

that's sort of sad. I bet before too long there is some bulletin and a part number replacement.

I will admit as long as the engine is running I can't hear ours. Only on shut down

that's sort of sad. I bet before too long there is some bulletin and a part number replacement.

I will admit as long as the engine is running I can't hear ours. Only on shut down
Are you sure it isn't the turbo winding down that you hear?

Peter

Are you sure it isn't the turbo winding down that you hear?

Peter

absolutely positive. I took the turbo off just as soon as I got the car home.

You took the turbo off?

had to wasted weight and plumbing.

don't know why the sell the car with them.

Peter is trying to bring up the notion that I don't mention the specific trim flavor of my car in the profile so someone might mistakenly think I have a sport or platinum and confusing the sounds I hear.

Or at least I assumed that was his goal - hence my comment. I have a XLT so 3.5 Ti-VCT motor. twas a joke in other words.

.....Or at least I assumed that was his goal - hence my comment. I have a XLT so 3.5 Ti-VCT motor. twas a joke in other words.
That is partly true but some members have apparently mistaken the turbos spooling down as a fan noise so I thought I'd mention it in case you did have a Sport or Platinum.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my case there is no doubt it is the fan.
I can reproduce some of it by manually spinning the fan.

With the engine on is really hard to hear , but with a very fine ear you can hear some of it. Also, you need to have the A/C ON to for the fan On

Back