Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

on my case there is no doubt it is the fan.
I can reproduce some of it by manually spinning the fan.

With the engine on is really hard to hear , but with a very fine ear you can hear some of it. Also, you need to have the A/C ON to for the fan On

+1, I've tried spinning the fan by hand and can definitely hear the whining noise.
If the fan only runs when the a/c is on, that is very strange because right now (being winter season), I don't have the a/c on and hear the fan whining down after every engine shutoff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1, I've tried spinning the fan by hand and can definitely hear the whining noise.
If the fan only runs when the a/c is on, that is very strange because right now (being winter season), I don't have the a/c on and hear the fan whining down after every engine shutoff.
They are cooling fans for the engine/coolant.

Peter

There are 3 different cooling fan part numbers listed in fordparts.com for the Ford Explorer. Would one of these more likely the problem than the others?.

8C607

RF-281
RF-278
RF-323

to add to peter's comment.

They are engine cooling fans. They come on when the car falls below 10 mph (or some other aero derived value) to pull air across the radiator, condenser, and oil cooler)

when the car is moving over _____ mph, there is enough air across it to work on it's own. In fact usually over 50mph there is sometimes TOO much airflow.

So stopped, or tooling around town - AC off - the fans come on occasionally when the temp of the coolant or the oil bump upward due to sitting still.

With the AC on - the fans come on and stay on a but longer - but not much.

I don't mean that the fan ONLY runs with the A/C on. I turn it on to ensure the fan is on, that way I don't have to wait for the car to heat up.

I believe the part number that was replaced is DA8Z8C607A, RF278. It is the fan assembly and Includes 2 fans. But looking at the photos look closer to the R323, because one has a pad behind it.

I was offered a Extended Service Plan to 75k miles (i took it) and also it is documented and they said that is a TSB show up they will applied it even if I am outside warranty.
Some peace of mind, but still have the noise....

Hmm, would Ford switching to nylon bearings to save money i mean weight have anything to do with the problem? Just a thought not an accusation.

I recently purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport and mine made the same noise from day one. The vehicle is for my wife so I do not drive it everyday. The car has 1700 miles on it right now and the noise has seemed to go away. At first, I too thought it was maybe the turbo, until I listen closely and quickly realized is was more of a bearing sound and figured it was maybe coming from the fan. I was going to have the dealer check it out when I take it in for its first service, but now that it has gone away, I am thinking I should just let it be.

I recently purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport and mine made the same noise from day one. The vehicle is for my wife so I do not drive it everyday. The car has 1700 miles on it right now and the noise has seemed to go away. At first, I too thought it was maybe the turbo, until I listen closely and quickly realized is was more of a bearing sound and figured it was maybe coming from the fan. I was going to have the dealer check it out when I take it in for its first service, but now that it has gone away, I am thinking I should just let it be.

Just to be sure, autostart your vehicle while standing at the front bumper and shut it off.

mine sounds a bit more like plastic scrubbing than metalic scratching of bearing noise.

it's a bit hard to discern. Better question though - not trying to say noise is normal - but have there been any documented fan failures? Early Fan failures - say less than 1yr or 15K miles old.

My 16 already has 15K miles on it. Also it's fairly cold out right now most of the time, IE last night it was 35 when we got home at 7.

........ but have there been any documented fan failures? Early Fan failures - say less than 1yr or 15K miles old.
Unless you are referring to only the 2016 model then I don't think so. If you are talking about the 5th generation Ex then YES, there have been many instances where the cooling fans were replaced, mainly in the 2011 - 2012 model years. Several threads/posts on overheating issues. I did an 'Advanced Search' on "cooling fans" in the 'Discussion' sub forum and came up with many threads on the issues. Some members had their fans replaced more than once.

Peter

I'm not alone

I purchased my 2016 Explorer XLT on 10/31/2015. 11/7 I had to have a cylinder head replaced because of a loud ticking noise, similar to noise you would expect if the engine has no oil. This repair happened at 300 miles. Then the fan noise, at 1500 miles, they replaced the condenser\ radiator fan. Noise reappears the same night drove for a while then took it back. First time they claim to not be able to duplicate. Second time they heard it, kept it for a few days, then contacts me with, "We hear the noise but can't find what to fix since we already replaced the fan our master mechanic claims it's normal".

I didn't except that answer and when I picked up my vehicle I let the service manager and director know it. They agreed with me and kept the vehicle and replaced the fan again. Today the fan is making the noise again, just not as loud but it started off low before then got worst, there needs to be a recall or something. I have complained to corporate and requested a buyback but I'm not at the limits of the lemon law yet. My wife and I are at or wits end.

Sorry for the long rant but I'm so upset all I can do is keep complaining and hope for a resolution or hope to be within the limits of the lemon law.

Welcome to the Forum tone78.:wavey:
It appears as though the 2016 models are going through the same kind of issues as the 2011 models experienced. The only difference is the 2016 fans are noisy while the 2011 fans had failures. Maybe they are recycling them.;)
Hope you get this problem fixed once and for all.

Peter

Thanks Peterk9

i hope it gets resolved as well.

Man, we're planing a family trip down to Texas this March break. This could get interesting.

Make sure the fan is turning ON. What I do is turn the A/C on to force it on. Then turn vehicle off.

To all of you.
If you are having this issue, please go to a dealership and start a case. Enough of this can trigger a TSB. I have dealt with Ford Tech Line and Ford Corporate already.

Make sure the fan is turning ON. What I do is turn the A/C on to force it on. Then turn vehicle off.

Good advice Wilexplorer. I was just thinking that the noise may have gone away because the fan is not coming on. However, I checked for the noise this weekend and it is still there. It is definitely not as loud as it was the first month we had the car and it doesn't happen every time. I am going to bring it up to my dealer when I take it in for the first service. However, since the noise is not that loud and only intermittent, I am hesitant to have them replace it. It sounds like the replacements still make the same noise and it may end up being worse than my current fan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something I've started to notice - might even need to dig out a decible meter - the longer the car runs (say hour trip vs cross town and back) the louder the noise gets.

IE grocery store and back run - temps below 45 but above 25 currently - some noise for a short time.

Come back from in-laws same temps yesterday - but 50 minute or so run mostly highway - louder noise, longer time frame.

anyone else check theirs.

Back