radiator hose clamps for 2002 4.6L v8 (sizes, style, and where to buy) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radiator hose clamps for 2002 4.6L v8 (sizes, style, and where to buy)

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I have the radiator hoses off and am about to put them back on. At least one of the stock spring clamps is broken and I would like to replace all of them. The hoses themselves look fine.

I have not been able to find these clamps and I am not sure I am looking for the right thing. For the 2 larger hoses, a rough measurement give an outside diameter of 1 7/8". For the smaller hose that runs out of the bottom the overflow, I am getting an outside diameter of 1 1/2". Are these the correct sizes?

Also, RockAuto doesn't seem to have any of the the stock spring type at all. They have the worm gear variety, along with T-bolt, and constant tension in a variety of materials. I also looked at McMaster-Carr and they had only limited sizes, none of which matched my measurements. I assume that I can find something on Amazon but I thought I would post and ask here first.

What do folks here use for replacements? Is the fact that RockAuto doesn't carry the spring variety mean that another style is preferred? The T-bolt variety work for a range of sizes, which makes the measurement a bit less of an issue. They also can be easier to remove than the spring clamps.

Any suggestions?

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked at the O'Reilly Auto Parts site and your sizes look right -- if it were me, I'd switch over to the worm style clamps. They're "old faithful" clamps.. Unless you live very rural, your local auto parts store should carry them in stock. Or maybe even Walmart has them. And if you buy the worm style a little too large, they'll still clamp down.

What fordy said. Every time I take one of those spring clamps off, I replace it with a worm clamp. My Dad used to call them Jesus clips, because you need to pray they will hold if you reuse them.

…. If you do not know how old the radiator hoses are, replacing the hoses would probably be a good idea. And you could flush the coolant also. Good maintenance.

Good Luck!

I know they are hard to work with, but my preference is for the OEM spring clamps. No overtighten, no undertightened, no leaks.

if it were me, I'd switch over to the worm style clamps.
In the past, I have read objections to the worm style clamps because they are not constant tension.

Worm style clamps create a seal by compressing the rubber in the hose and so it is the elasticity in the hose that creates the tension for seal. Over time, as the hose becomes less resilient, the seal begins to weaken. With a spring clamp the tension for the seal is created by stretching of the spring and so is less susceptible to loss of seal as the hose ages.

...at least that is what I have read.

I suspect that in reality it might take a while for this issue to appear but may be more relevant with old hoses.

I also am not in love with spring clamps for the same reasons mentioned.

I know they are hard to work with, but my preference is for the OEM spring clamps. No overtighten, no undertightened, no leaks.

There are constant tension sizable clamps, so maybe that would be the best of both worlds.

This is what I have found as far as what is available,

constant tension clamps,
GATES 32724 Standard Constant Tension Hose Clamp 1-1/16" to 2" (6x $5.50 = $33.50)
or
GATES 32620 Heavy-Duty Constant Tension Hose Clamp 1-1/4" to 2-1/8" (6x $6.15 = $36.90)
or
Apache 43082002 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-13/16" to 2-1/16" (4x $2.48 = $9.92)
Apache 43081998 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-5/16" to 1-11/16" (2x $2.85 = $5.70)

worm gear clamps
GATES 32528 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp 1-5/16" to 2-1/4" (6x $1.42 + $8.52)

The constant tension hose clamps are much more expensive in general, though the T-bolt clamps are reasonable. One problem on RockAuto is that you have to buy a minimum of 10 clamps for many of their parts and this runs the cost up quickly. The selections above were available as singles. The prices are not any better on Amazon, plus it is almost impossible to find anything on Amazon now that they have removed most of what was already a limited filtering system.

I haven't found a good site for the spring clamps yet. They seem to go for $8 each most places I have seen so far. If someone knows a good site, I would appreciate the address.

…. If you do not know how old the radiator hoses are, replacing the hoses would probably be a good idea. And you could flush the coolant also. Good maintenance.

I do know how old the hoses are, they are original as far as I know so they probably need changing out.

New hoses will be about $60 if I replace everything.

GATES 22790 Molded Radiator Hose Lower ($10.19)
GATES 22791 Molded Radiator Hose Upper ($13.18)
GATES 28409 Cut to Fit Radiator Hose Upper Reservoir To Radiator ($4.20)
GATES 24538 Molded Radiator Hose Lower Reservoir to Radiator ($29.79)

I have never had an issue with Gates parts, but ACDelco Professional is also available as well as Continental.

What would you use to flush? Would you use Evapo-Rust or would it be something else?

LMHmedchem

I think when I go to work in the morning I'm going to see what the Ford part numbers are (for 2005 MY).

My Dorman manifold replacement came with a spring style clamp and a cap to block the coolant passage in the rear of the manifold. One day, 70 miles from home, I accelerated hard to get on the freeway in front of semi's coming down the road. That Dorman spring clip and cap went flying off the manifold and coolant went flying everywhere. I switched to a worm style and it's been several years and no issues. I've been using worm style for 50 years with no issues. I should have throw the other one in the trash to begin with, and their cheap cap also.

th?id=OP.XLpFqIU%2fu26KRg474C474&o=5&pid=21.jpg
th?id=OP.XLpFqIU%2fu26KRg474C474&o=5&pid=21.jpg

What fordy said. Every time I take one of those spring clamps off, I replace it with a worm clamp. My Dad used to call them Jesus clips, because you need to pray they will hold if you reuse them.
Another example of Jesus clips-especially the smaller one's- cause when they go springing off, one yells JESUS!

In the end I went with these,

For the 2" OD main hoses,
Apache 43082004 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-15/16"-2-3/16" ($2.64)

For the 1.5" OD hose (reservoir to lower radiator)
Apache 43081998 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-5/16" to 1-11/16" ($2.85)

Why the smaller clamp costs more, I have no idea.

I would have been happy with the Gates T-bar clamps from RockAuto but you have to buy them in packs of 10. That would have been more than $65 plus shipping for both sizes, plus a ton of leftover clamps. I am very happy with the clamps I got from globalindustrial.com. They are stainless steel and seriously heavy duty. They also can be purchases as each and the shipping was only $5.00. It came to just over $21 for all 6 clamps. The clamps come with nyloc locking nuts which I have replace for now with standard nuts. I will go back to the nylocs when I am convinced that I am not going to be taking these off again for a while. Maybe I will use both if there is room on the studs.

I started with some worm drive clamps that I already had because, well, I already had them. I ended up stripping the teeth out of two of them by over-tightening. It really didn't take much, so they must have been pretty flimsy. I will always have a bunch of worm gear clamps in my tool box, but I think that these T-bolt clamps are a better long term option for a hot pressurized system.

LMHmedchem

In the end I went with these,

For the 2" OD hoses,
Apache 43082004 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-15/16"-2-3/16" ($2.64)

For the 1.5" OD hose (reservoir to lower radiator)
Apache 43081998 Stainless Steel Ultra T-Bolt Clamp 1-5/16" to 1-11/16" ($2.85)

Why the smaller clamp costs more, I have no idea.

I would have been happy with the Gates T-bar clamps from RockAuto but you have to buy them in packs of 10. That would have been more than $65 plus shipping for both sizes.

I am very happy with the clamps I got from globalindustrial.com. They are stainless steel and seriously heavy duty. They also can be purchased as each and the shipping was only $5.00. It came to just over $21 for all 6 clamps. The clamps come with nyloc locking nuts which I have replace for now with standard nuts. I will go back to the nylocs when I am convinced that I am not going to be taking these off again for a while.

I started with some worm drive clamps that I already had because, well, I already had them. I ended up stripping the teeth out of two of them by over-tightening. It really didn't take much, so they must have been pretty flimsy. I will always have a bunch of worm gear clamps in my tool box, but I think that these T-bolt clamps are a better long term option for a hot pressurized system.

LMHmedchem

Back