Hose Clamps for Air Intake/Throttle Body - 1997 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hose Clamps for Air Intake/Throttle Body - 1997 Mountaineer

Bigwake

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey all, it’s my first post and I’m honestly embarrassed to have to ask this question.

I just picked up a 1997 Mountaineer AWD with the 5.0L V8. I noticed the hose clamp that connects the intake tube to the air filter box was missing and the other clamp on that same tube attached to the throttle body (?) is broken as well. They’re the slotted hose clamps to allow for the raised pieces of that intake tube to fit through the cuts/slots in the hose clamps.

I’ve searched all over the web and here and I just cannot find the clamps. When I try searching different parts websites, the diagrams all show a cylindrical air filter (and no hose clamps) but my vehicle has the rectangular air filter box, not the cylinder style.

I’ll upload photos of my broken clamp, the diagram listed for my 97 (which shows the wrong airbox) and a diagram for some other newer Ford models that shows the similar-looking setup to what my truck has.

Any help in either finding the correct hose clamp or a slotted alternative hose clamp that could work is very much appreciated. I’d rather not just use a regular hose clamp and have it sit wonky on the raised rubber sections of the tube.

Thanks

IMG_7777.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

IMG_7779.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, it’s my first post and I’m honestly embarrassed to have to ask this question.

I just picked up a 1997 Mountaineer AWD with the 5.0L V8. I noticed the hose clamp that connects the intake tube to the air filter box was missing and the other clamp on that same tube attached to the throttle body (?) is broken as well. They’re the slotted hose clamps to allow for the raised pieces of that intake tube to fit through the cuts/slots in the hose clamps.

I’ve searched all over the web and here and I just cannot find the clamps. When I try searching different parts websites, the diagrams all show a cylindrical air filter (and no hose clamps) but my vehicle has the rectangular air filter box, not the cylinder style.

I’ll upload photos of my broken clamp, the diagram listed for my 97 (which shows the wrong airbox) and a diagram for some other newer Ford models that shows the similar-looking setup to what my truck has.

Any help in either finding the correct hose clamp or a slotted alternative hose clamp that could work is very much appreciated. I’d rather not just use a regular hose clamp and have it sit wonky on the raised rubber sections of the tube.

Thanks

View attachment 449248

View attachment 449249

View attachment 449250
Salvage yard would be your best bet in finding one bro, I'm not aware of any places to get these at new

I think there should be a size stamped onto the hose clamp. Otherwise, good idea to just bring it to the hardware store and try and get some a similar size. The nice thing about hose clamps is they're cheap, so you can get multiple sizes, and they're adjustable. I'd just walk into Ace Hardware if you have one nearby, their part selection for stuff like that has usually been very good ime.

Maybe something like these, or use them on top of the broken OEM clamp…

IMG_0100.jpeg

Maybe something like these, or use them on top of the broken OEM clamp…

View attachment 449339
Yeah, I saw one like that designed for Kia and it came with the entire tube as well on Amazon when I was searching. Do you know what that style would be called so I can find a generic one that is the correct diameter? Thanks

Edit: looks like they’re called double wire. I’ll try to find some in the correct size. Thanks for the suggestion!

A hardware/home improvement store will have large clamps in the heating/cooling section. If you go the generic route, you can slice those raised rubber sections off the intake tube so the clamp sits right.

Self service junkyard like Pick N Pull would be the easiest and likely the cheapest.

Alternatively, you can get a regular large full banded screw type hose clamp and use a dremel to remove the bands where the raised parts go. That's what I am sporting on mine after a quickie lube place lost my OE clamp.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I thought about using zip ties and I think they would work great, too. Maybe even the metal ones for extra longevity.

I ended up going with these double wire clamps in the 3-inch size and they work great so far. A 5-pack was around $11 delivered. If these didn’t work, I would have gotten regular hose clamps and cut sections out but this was way easier and worked out.

IMG_7894.jpeg

Back