• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Leak

LAWG_rider

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My radiator has been leaking slowly from one of the plastic side tanks for a month or so now. I had a friend suggest getting some leak stop stuff to put in there. Does this stuff work? I know it's not a real fix and plan on getting another radiator. But can it help me hold out till I save enough for something that is all aluminum?

Also any suggestions on a stock replacement that is all aluminum? Brand? Durability worth the extra cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well what else does it stop? Clog coolant passages what?

on older vehicles it can clog coolant passages, heater cores, etc, its all on prior vehicle maintenance.

its something you might use when you are on a road trip and the only place around for 500 miles is a gas station with a store to get to a repair shop. i woudnt use it as a fix to a leak.

Ditto.. Don't use stop leak...

If you need to "slow" the leak some, change your 16 lbs radiator cap for a 13 psi cap. If you can find them, a 9 or 10 psi cap.. This will lower the pressure which will slow the leak some.

BUT It Also lowers the boiling point of the coolant.

Each 1 PSI raises the bioling point raises by 3 degree F so if you change from a 16 psi cap to a 10 psi cap your lowering the boiling point of a pure water cooling system by 18F.

This isn't a solution, but will halp get you buy until you replace the radiator..

~Mark

LAWG_rider,

I bought an all-aluminum radiator off eBay from radiatordealz.
(After having two new plastic-tanked ones from JC Whitney fail within the first month.)

If I remember right, I paid about $150 - same as a plastic-tanked one from AutoZone.
Really nice looking unit. I was impressed and have been very happy with it - no problems at all.

Don't see one currently advertised from them for an automatic, but you might holler at them or keep an eye out.

Good luck!

Back