Radio Antenna Too Long, is there a shorter antenna that would work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Antenna Too Long, is there a shorter antenna that would work?

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Radio Antenna Too Long – about 1 inch too long – hits garage door at home + too many of those “max height devices” in many commercial garages – is there a shorter antenna that would work almost as good, e.g. minimal loss of radio reception?

2000 Sport 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. They're pretty common at just about any autoparts store. Most aftermarket antennas come with adapters for each manufacturer. I've got one of those little flexible "Euro-style" antennas. it's about 1.5 feet long and works fine. No loss in reception although that's moot these days because I only listen to XM.

Dead Link Removed

I cut mine down with a hacksaw. No loss of reception.

aldive said:
I cut mine down with a hacksaw. No loss of reception.

That's definitely a good option. The "adapters" I mention above don't really work that great. The threads don't hold the antenna in the socket that well. The only thing that holds on best is my OEM antenna.

you can always get one of those billet antenna's ... Here is a auction for one for $25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=7954678324&rd=1

ba_1.jpg

Your best bet would be to get the powered antenna that goes up and down. Simply turn your radio off when heading into the garage. You can buy it from any dealer.

Back