• Register Today It's free!

radio display doesn't work!

wesry

Reaction score
City, State
tampa, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
I am about to buy a 98 eddie bauer explorer with the jbl sound system. The display screen stopped working in it, so I was wondering if there is any issues to putting a aftermarket cd player in it. I know in some cars that it can be a pain to do anything aftermarket and was curious if this is a straight foward radio install.

Thanks for your feedback

Do a little research and you'll find that the display is a common problem in some Explorers. I found a quick fix for mine, but I'm going to have to redo it because I didn't get one of the connections good enough. You pull the CD player apart, take a few screws out and remove a small rectangular board. On that board, there are 5 or 6 resistors. The solder used from the factory is extremely small and the heat causes it to wear off over time. Just drop a bead of solder on each connection and you're good to go.

Option #2 is to go here and take advantage of this program. They send you a fully functioning replacement for your radio and $79 (I think). If I couldn't fix the problem myself, it would be worth it to me just to have a factory looking radio. NOTHING is worse than having some flashy display in the middle of a nice streamline dash.

Hope I helped.

Back