blank radio display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blank radio display

Ronearnest

Reaction score
I have a 99 eb explorer with factory mach sound system. The other day the display on the radio went blank. The radio, cd, tape player work fine but I have no clock or station display. I could not find any blown fuses. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey bro, its the heat!! the stupid head unit puts out a lot of heat. the heatsinks on the back of the head unit look like heat sinks off an amp, but they dont dooo squat. Do you notice whenever you play a CD for a bit, then take it out, its burnin hot?!?! well, that heat is what is makin your stereo blank out. i had that happen to mine also. it would blink out, but when i didnt notice, it would blink back in... So when i had like 2,000 miles left til my warantee was over, i took the car in and asked for them to check it out. they ended up giving me a brand spankin new stereo. i still ahve that little sticker band that protects the stereo face while in transit... it says pull here, but i'll let it serve its purpose until it falls off itself. im kinda **** that way...

Hey HuiDaddy and Ronearnest, just wondering, so how old are both your cars, milage and age-wise when the radios started giving out?

Mine is a 99 eddie bauer, I drive a lot, had about 40k when radio started acting up. So I think I am out of luck on the warranty.

I have a '98 XLT 5.0L. The radio started acting up like at around late 20K miles... i got it fixed like at 34K. i now have like 51800 and its been fine ever since.

That stinks. I hope the best for both of you. HuiDaddy, let's hope it's still working past your next 20k miles!

Ronearnest, I guess you can live with the radio if you don't mind that small basics not working. The other way to go would be to get a new aftermarket head unit, but then you might lose the added controls of your existing system. If you want to try getting an OEM replacement that's less than the Ford Factory price, try:

http://www.radiosandmore.com

-Good luck-

Why not just get a new one. They look cooler plus you will have the diplays workin agian. Just my 2 cents.

Fu-SCHNIKIE!!!

Just yesterday my head unit was working fine... but this morning when i turn on my system, the head unit display just went blank... Son of a BIZATCH!!! Man, just when i thought i was totally cool, the stupid HU konks out on me... i dunno what to do guys... maybe one day it'll come back...

98 CDDJ Headunit Display Quit

I Totally understand CDDJ HU problems. My 98 XLT display quit leaving the Firestone dealers parking lot! Not only did I need new tires but now this!!!
I live in SF took the unit to Auto Radio Headquarters in Oakland, It is taking 6 weeks to get the thing back from the Alpine (the manufacturer), $275 for the swap. I think they said I can pick it up tomorrow. The unit definitely gets hot as hell after a good blasting. I am considering shelling out the duckits for the Vistron (sic) unit listed in other threads, Dead Link Removed
Slps right in there. Looks like an on board amp too.
Good luck to you all.
PS
Techs at Auto Radio said the board that holds the display in place melted!! hope this new unit is more robust.

Ford Radio Display Problem ( Instructions Fix to the Problem)

Ford Radio Display Problem ( Instructions Fix to the Problem)

1998 & Up FORD RADIO DISPLAY GOING DIM OR HAS GONE TOTALLY OUT BLANK

I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOU IN HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM

www.caraudiolabs.net

or email : caraudiolab@aol.com

Fonseca
Please do not quadruple post! We get the point.

Thanks,

Robb

Back