Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT, 3.5 NA
Callsign
K7ATH
Hey all,

I have kind of been ignoring this issue with my '04 X, but I am to the point where I want to find what is wrong now. I have the factory in-dash 6 disk changer and factory sub and my radio has $H!TY reception...I have been using the disk changer mostly, but I want to listen to the radio now.

So the problem:
When I use the scan(seek) function to tune the radio, it will not stop on any station. I can manually tune the station to whatever I want to listen to (granted I know the frequency), but reception as I said above is $H!T. I can have clear sound, then 100ft down the road, STATIC and only STATIC...and it goes on and on forever.

Replacing the factory unit is NOT AN OPTION as I have NO MONEY and LIKE MY IN-DASH CHANGER. Has anybody else had this problem or have any suggestions? I know the basics, check the connections at the antenna and at the back of the radio, but I haven't gotten to that yet (lack of TIME AND RESOURCES thus far) and to me, it doesn't really seem like it is completely with the antenna as the radio does not accomplish anything on scan(seek).

Hmmmm, I know what you're saying about the antenna and the scan feature but my money is on still on it being an antenna issue. Scan will only stop on stations with a good strong signal. If the antenna connection is intermittent or of poor quality then scan will cruise past the station because in its mind the signal is weak or poor. I'd double check your antenna connetion all the way to the actual antenna.

Just to give you an update incase anybody comes up with the same issue...

Today, I went out a pulled the radio to check the antennae connection in the back and it was as should be. The antennae wire is bright orange, so I decided to trace it through the dash the best I could...opened the glove box and found the wire running by in the back, so I pushed the sides of the box in to drop it down for working space only to find that there is a factory installed connection in the wire...

Long story short on all of this, for some reason this connection was not hooked up meaning my reception was being received under my dash as opposed to out in the open at the antennae its self. Connected the two ends and there I was with a working radio.

Back