Radius arm bushing replacement Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm bushing replacement Question

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
Is the Nut on the radius arm 1 1/4 or 1 1/8?
I seem to have a problem getting a socket on the passenger side because the catalytic converter flange is in the way. I may have to drop the brackets down on both sides at once in order to be able to remove the passenger side nut. At that point I am concerned about getting weight off of it so I do not have an accident and about being able to remove the nut without the whole axle moving on me when I try to remove the nut. With the vehicle on jack stands and wheels off the ground there seems to be a lot of weight on them. Without having the springs loose the least tension on the RA arms seems to be when I jack up that side of the axle a good bit. The PO removed the rivets and replaced them with bolts already.

I believe it was 1 1/8, and I'm pretty sure I used a wrench to break it free. I also used heat, as they should have red loctite on the threads.

I had similar troubles as well. My RA bracket was all ready modified with bots so I lose ex everything up so I could replace RA bushings. It wasnt hard but it was a pain and going together was almost more difficult than taking apart. I think I ended up pulling the front end forward, I was rebuilding ball joints and pivot bushings to and that went more easily.

Back